Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scots Grey  (Read 7395 times)

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
Scots Grey
« on: November 22, 2013, 11:23:37 am »
I've started a little facebook group based around the Scots Grey breed in the hope I can get in touch with more people who keep them, gather as much info as possible on them and create a little information resource on the breed.

I've got some birds now but its been a bit of hard slog finding them or any info about the breed and I almost gave up a couple of times so hopefully I can make the process a little bit easier for anyone else thinking of doing the same thing.

I have a few old poultry books with descriptions of the breed, pictures, breed standards, stories etc etc that I plan to post up.

Please feel free to drop in and share with anyone you know who may have Scots Greys  :thumbsup:

Hopefully I can eventually start a little website with all the info on there for the non Facebookers :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/scotsgrey/

« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 11:49:13 am by Clansman »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Scots Grey
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 12:49:21 pm »
I love Scots Greys - when I get to the position of having some pure breeds again, they are what I'd like to get. Well done and setting up this resource  :thumbsup:

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 01:20:40 pm »
with respect, perhaps supporting the Breed Society and their current FB page might be best? I started a mailing list last year as I too had trouble finding stock and info but since the beginning of this year its been much easier getting in contact, especially since I made to effort to visit breeders in person. The chairman is only a short trip down the A1 and there are several other breeders in the Borders. 

Many of the existing breeders (and there are not many) are probably not of an age where they are interested in the internet. There are breeders up here advertising Scots Greys that aren't of a very good quality who aren't members of the breed society.

I worry that unless we all push to keep the breed society and its members together, the breed will end up like the Marsh Daisies, with little or no stock available, no active breed club and all manner of cross breds being passed off as the real thing-I don't think the MDs will ever come back now, the breed is in such a mess. I am not into showing but without showing, the breed would either now be gone or unrecognisable.

Come to the AGM at the Scottish National and have your say-change from within as it were ;)

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 01:49:06 pm »
I have the Scots Grey Poultry Club page already linked from the group, i don't intend to create a rival group or work against the breed society, I intend to have an active resource that works alongside it.

there are too few of us as it is.

I have been on that page regularly myself but its not very active and to be honest I have posted many requests for info, stock etc that didn't even get a single reply which was desperately disappointing, especially from a page that states it is trying to promote the breed.  :-\

I was powerless do anything myself to change that so I liked the idea of creating a group, I use Facebook regularly and will keep it up to date and answer responses promptly, people are joining already and its just been up a matter of hours.

I feel its a bit easier for people to work within rather than just creating a page but yes everything that brings Scots Grey people together and links to other resources can only benefit it.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 01:51:28 pm by Clansman »

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 01:54:01 pm »
I get the frustration. I think the Club, along with other poultry clubs, have had their fair share of people coming in for a year or two and then dropping out. Of course, not being able to find stock or information is a possible reason! Would love to see pictures of other people's birds and share some of my own-although the feathers are a sod to photograph. Hope to see you at the National? There'll be more there than at any other show I would think.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 02:14:49 pm »
Come join and stick some pics up, that cockerel of yours looks a beauty

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 02:36:29 pm »
I think  this is a step in the right direction anything to get the breed more accessible is a good think in my book. Scots dumpys have the same problem, the folks who show these birds have a closed shop as far as selling surplus birds is concerned.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 02:54:18 pm »
Well that may also be the case with some of the Scots Grey breeders.

I contacted upwards of a dozen breeders who show them in an attempt to gather some stock together looking for even one or two birds without any success.

Now I quite appreciate there are times people may just not have spare birds to sell but once you get upwards of a dozen dead ends it does make you start to wonder :)

no one had any to sell....They all quite happily gave me some one else's number to go and phone who would probably have some for sale but they didn't.

I've only got half a dozen hens and half a dozen cockerels at the moment but even I could set someone up with a pair or a trio of they were stuck.

Had it not been for a few sites such as this and a great deal of perseverance I wouldn't have managed to source any birds at all.

I don't think any of the birds I currently have were bought from people who show them, or at least show them seriously.

But I have them now, I'm not 100% sure they meet the proper breed standards etc or what sort of quality they will turn out to be, I do have one cockerel with two brown feathers which I know is a fault so won't be breeding from him.

But I have a few of the hens laying pretty well at the moment, way better than I expected so thats really what i'm concerned with for now, producing a good utility bird.

My plan is to breed heavily next year from my best layers and build up a flock upwards of 30 hens for myself as well as supplying some others who are looking for them too.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 03:04:21 pm by Clansman »

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 03:02:39 pm »
Can understand why these breeds are rare when the folks who show them rarely sell any and actually perpetuate the situation instead of promoting the popularity of the breed.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 03:06:18 pm »
I can understand the reasons behind it, I used to show a long time ago and it can be quite a serious business at the top end of things,  even with poultry

its hard enough winning so letting birds go from a decent line you have bred is just making it harder on yourself, even a bird thats not particularly good can still breed good birds along the line.

as i said in the other post, once you start digging, they are not particularly rare, quite a few people keep them and some of them keep big numbers.

The problem is not finding them, the problem is getting someone to sell you some  ;D
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 04:36:09 pm by Clansman »

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 04:08:39 pm »
I know a couple of breeders who didn't hatch that many this year and several breeders of different breeds, who've given up due to age/cost of feed. It costs alot to do it on a realistic scale. Some have been less than helpful and others have been fab once I got to know them a bit.

I have 3 hens I bought in 2012 and although good layers, they arent really very correct. I also hatched two pullets (lost one to prolapse) and a cock in the same year-they are both rather good although the girl is a little dark. From these I hatched only 4 pullets and 2 cockerels this year. 2 pullets I sold to a non-breeding home, 2 I kept although one is no good as has yellow legs, 1 boy who was rather nice went to a non-breeding home and the other, who is nice (better legs than his dad) but who may be a little light in colour. All the pullets I bred are a bit too dark but a good shape. I then bought in two cracking hens who I'll put to the original cock in the New Year. The young lad will be put to a couple of the darker hens/pullets to see what happens.

Cow hocks is a bad fault and prevalent in the breed, yellow legs is a pain to get rid of and incorrect. I am not sure which of mine passed that on (am really hoping it wasn't the cock!) so will trap nest this year although I still might not find out.

I have been sold/offered all sorts when I first got hens, offered SGs with yellow legs and white wing feathers etc etc (but not from members of the breed club) and of course then there are eBay eggs  ::) . In reality, to improve a breed or even maintain it you have to do it on a scale thats beyond most backyard hen people (myself included). I don't plan to take SG breeding or showing that seriously but will aim to not be detrimental to it.

They are great birds, real characters.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 11:07:08 am »
Unashamedly bumping an old post!  ;D

10 months down the line, the Facebook group now has 130 members, strong links with the breed club, a website and a new sister page and breed club which has been set up in Australia due to a recent import of Scots Greys hatching eggs from the UK to Australia.

Members joining recently to find stock are now finding available birds for sale within a few hours  :thumbsup:

If you're interested in Scots Greys at all come and join in.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/scotsgrey/

http://www.scotsgreychickens.co.uk
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 02:46:33 pm by Clansman »

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 11:42:50 am »
its been excellent, really good for the breed I think and if the Marsh Daisy page is half as successful, I'll be very happy.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 04:55:01 pm »
I'm about to buy 2 pullets but not a cockerel as yet due to one boy being enough here and my old cl isn't any bother while he lasts. 

Maybe after him, depending how I get on with the breed but I'm excited to add them even if they aren't good examples to be breeding. I can easy get another Cl or other breed if not.

I'm not a FB chook group person tho, might just stay in touch third party!
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 10:20:04 am »
There are a good few people I know of who keep them and don't use the internet at all ellied  :thumbsup:

You can join the Scots Grey Breed Club for £5 a year and they send out newsletters to keep you up to date if thats any use?

The Scots Grey Club
Mr. Rory A. Innes
Briary Hill,
Duns,
Berwickshire
TD11 3PR
Scotland
UK

phone:  01361 882965  or  (mobile) 07747 043817

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS