Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cost of keeping a few chickens  (Read 3925 times)

Mrs South

• Joined Nov 2013
Cost of keeping a few chickens
« on: November 20, 2013, 03:19:39 pm »
Hi folks

We are now in possession of a second hand chicken coop that will take nine birds (RSPB rated for nine).

We will probably not get the chickens until the spring - not sure yet - and we have a local supplier on Skye who is very famous!

I was wondering though - how much it costs to keep a few hens. Does anyone have any info? I'm guessing it's not going to be a huge amount but just wanted rough estimate.

I don't mean the equipment but just food/bedding and anything else they need on a regular basis.

Would be grateful if anyone has any info.

Thanks
Lynne

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
Re: Cost of keeping a few chickens
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 03:48:13 pm »
depending on the breed and whether they are laying or meat birds 9 hens will eat roughly about £10-£20 worth of commercially milled food a month.

A 20/25Kg bag of food is around £10

If they are free ranging it will be less, if you feed wheat, maize, barley etc it will be less again.

Bedding costs... a large bale of wood shavings for nestboxes or floor litter will last a month or two and is about £7

Bale of straw around a fiver.

Worming treatments usually cost around £20 a time every few months or so.

Can be very cheap to do :D

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 03:54:03 pm »
Pretty much reckon on about 5p in feed per bird at current prices although as Clansman says, if there are lots of trees and stuff to scratch in, they will find lots of food wild. They also eat grass and other greens to some extent. In fact one of our cockerels eats docs. Not sure why he's not keeled over but he seems healthy on it! We try to keep meds to a minimum with a bit of ACV in the water every once in a while and plenty of DE in the houses to keep the mites at bay.

The best layers will give up to 320 eggs in their optimum year but I always reckon an about 180-200 for mixed birds to allow for winter slowdown / moulting / broodyness etc.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 04:19:41 pm »
and we have a local supplier on Skye who is very famous!

do tell - famous as a celebrity or famous due to great reputation??

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 04:43:06 pm »
Mr McDonald??  :thumbsup:

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 04:52:05 pm »
we have 10 hens at present and after ruiing out set up costs they more than pay for their food and any meds. all egg money goes in the chicken pot and any additional; comes out. we however rarely get to eat any as the wife has a list of regular customers

Mrs South

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 07:31:03 pm »
Thanks everyone!

Our famous chicken  man is Donald The Hen from Staffin (or thereabouts). He is very well known as an expert and most people around here and indeed further, get their hens/ducks/geese from him.

We are thinking of four hens and a cockerel and a couple of ducks....that would surely be enough for me and hubby, and to give some to my mum and dad as well? Maybe the odd gift elsewhere.....

Mrs South

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 07:32:24 pm »
Forgot to say - they will be able to wander around and there is lots of heather, grassy bits, and seashore. We also have quite a few raised beds so hoping ot keep them away from the veg!!!

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 06:09:04 pm »
good luck in keeping them away from your veg, I have fenced mine in and they will still fly over, it not so much eating it but the scratching it up that's the problem! Be warned though, keeping chickens is addictive as is watching them! They are well worth it though!!  :excited:
Heather

Mrs South

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 07:53:51 pm »
I am a photographer. Sounds like I might be doing a lot of chicken photography!!! ;D

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, 08:09:54 pm »
Good luck with that - very fast shutter speed needed, LOL!

I've just done a quick sum, and I reckon our chooks have set us back a couple of hundred thousand in total. This makes the cost of each egg approximately £692.37. The birds themselves were fairly cheap, it was their field and attached house that did it.....  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Cactus Jack

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Tortosa catalunya
    • stevel100
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2013, 09:41:53 pm »
Good luck with that - very fast shutter speed needed, LOL!

I've just done a quick sum, and I reckon our chooks have set us back a couple of hundred thousand in total. This makes the cost of each egg approximately £692.37. The birds themselves were fairly cheap, it was their field and attached house that did it.....  ;D

I'm in total agreement, but the flavour of those eggs and knowing what they have been fed is worth nearly every penny or centimo in my case  :chook:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS