Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cat with the runs  (Read 3249 times)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Cat with the runs
« on: November 18, 2013, 02:37:21 pm »
ok, the stinky cat is 5 mths now.
hes glowing with health, fit, happy and active, shiny coat.
hes had stinky poops but after keeping him on go-cat dry kibble hes been quite settled. he cant have any wet food or he gets terrible diahorrea.
he has been wormed twice by the vet with different wormers so im sure its not worms.

now he has worked out how to catch mice, and i believe he is eating them too, the diahorrea has come back with a vengance.
very runny and very farty. and frequent.
any advice except locking him up in the house away from the mice?

i have kaolin powder but not sure if i could get him to eat it.

thanks. im not sure if its worth a trip to the vet for??

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Cat with the runs
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 02:59:47 pm »
Any kind of digestive upset, it's always worth feeding a probiotic yoghurt. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 03:58:24 pm »
I'd be avoiding anything milk based, it's likey to make it worse isn't it?

Make sure he's hydrated. & not loosing weight, is he still eating the kibble?

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 04:08:25 pm »
hes definitely drinking and eating well, not skinny at all. hes looks the picture of health actually but just  the terrible diahorrea, and boy it really stinks.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 09:50:21 am »
I'd be avoiding anything milk based, it's likey to make it worse isn't it?

Probiotic yoghurt is recommended by many vets for stomach upsets.  Others sell you lactobacillus acidophilus tablets, so if you are bothered about the milk element you could try those.

Siamese cats are supposedly allergic to milk, but I've had several Siamese crosses and most have liked milk and yoghurt and suffered no ill effects from a little of either now and again.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 10:19:18 am »
One of my Labradors cannot take any milk based product.....like us humans, we can often have food intolerances!!. 

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 04:32:11 pm »
Have you had a poo sample tested? It sounds like small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. What was he wormed with have you had panacure cor three days?

My best guess is SIBO, gut parasites like giardia or tritrichamonis foetus (spelt wrong) or dietry intolerance.  I had a La Perm kitten with permanent diarrhoea who no one wanted. He had a combo of SIBO and severe food intolerance.
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 06:14:22 pm »
he had panacur paste at 9 weeks, which im sure was a 3 day course (?), then at 13 weeks the vet gave him a tablet of a different type "to kill any worms he had missed with the first dose".

a poo sample maybe the way to go, as its still bad today. hes definitely taking mice as he brings them in to show us, then takes them away again.

hes a bengal first cross.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 09:35:51 am »
If you're worried about giving him a cows milk based probiotic then grab some sheep or goats milk natural yoghurt. I'm lactose intolerant and that's what I use and give to the cats occasionally.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 12:16:20 pm »
I often wonder about animals and food intolerances my daughters and myself get quite ill eating the wrong stuff so I imagine animals do too.....a glass of milk will make me ill but a glass of whiskey will not !! :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS