Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: a year off breeding  (Read 2500 times)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
a year off breeding
« on: November 18, 2013, 02:15:13 pm »
would it damaging to the nannies fertility to give them a year off from breeding ? - i know its not recommended for cattle and pigs to skip a year due to getting fatty ovaries etc.
they have been pregnant since kids (they were preg when i bought them) and had 3 sets of kids, im hoping to move next yr (she says  ::)) so the less animals to transport the better really. plus they are in good condition now after a summer of being skinny so a year off would be nice aslong as they dont become infertile.
any opinions?
thanks

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: a year off breeding
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 04:02:04 pm »
Should be ok.
If they are still being milked then no problem continuing on their normal(milking) rations through the winter.
If they are dry then they should be on only a little of concentrate, and mostly hay this winter. Should be ok though letting them have a year off.
I kid most of mine only every two years, but they are milked for 22months.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 09:50:06 pm »
Mine go longer than that as they still produce a reasonable quantity of milk for two winters.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 02:37:03 pm »
thanks, im sure they will appreciate a break.
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 06:52:55 pm »
Goats used to regularly have a year off. People would rest one of a pair each year

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 10:36:25 pm »
Goats are much better equipped to have a year off. Just watch in late summer that they aren't too fat going into autumn for mating, and you'll be fine.

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS