Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: small cattle suggestions for a beginner  (Read 17401 times)

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
Re: small cattle suggestions for a beginner
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2013, 08:33:00 pm »
The good old Garden of England! Being in the south East, aand close to London, we pay top dollar for everything  :(

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2013, 08:37:45 pm »
Just out of curiosity, how much beef do you get from a Dexter?

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2013, 09:31:16 pm »
I've had cows for two and a half years now - we bought in a Jersey x Freisian with her 3 week old Belgian blue x heifer calf at foot. £400 for both as she had a dropped udder meaning she would no longer be able to be milked commerically. She took to hand milking within three days. We kept the calf on until she was 16 months old and sold her the day after her half-brother was born (belgian blue x steer). He was then sold at market a couple of months ago at 9 months. He fetched £589 and his sister fetched £689. Both calves were really docile as they were around us daily as mum was being milked. This year we've also taken on two dairy bull calves (one jersey x and one shorthorn x) that were going to be shot so we're just taking that a day at a time, but, again, they're around us daily and we make a point of spending time each day with them to keep them tame. Big fan of Jersey x mummy cows, we lost our Betty cow last week, still very raw in some really shitty circumstances but we will probably try and get another one but not yet :(

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2013, 10:17:45 am »
When choosing a breed for really good pasture such as I guess you have in Kent, I would urge you to avoid a northern / hardy type such as Highland, Galloway, Shetland, Blue Grey, Red Devon.  All of these breeds are likely to become obese on your good ground!

Rearing calves on a bucket does require some experience and/or some luck, but if you do decide to go that route then get ones who are at least one month old and are in tip-top, glowing health, to give yourself a fighting chance ;)

A cross calf - beef bull on dairy cow - would be the sort you'd be likely to be able to buy at a young age. 

A weaned suckler calf, reared on its beef suckler mum, sold at 6-9 months old, would probably be very standoffish /flighty at first but as has been said, a bit of cake will help to settle them.  I'd avoid continental breeds and choose Angus or Beef Shorthorn, or your local breed if there is one.  Definitely avoid Limousin and Charollais.  British Blue might do too well on your ground and have heart problems.

I have friends with Dexters who absolutely love them, and I have to say theirs are very nice-looking cattle.  Some Dexters are not as quiet as others, so make sure you get ones from calm stock ;)

Jerseys are a small breed but only useful for milk and breeding really.  Once you are experienced, then a Jersey cow will give you milk for the house, a calf every year, and rear a few bought-in calves too.   :love: :cow:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2013, 02:44:48 pm »
------------
When choosing a breed for really good pasture such as I guess you have in Kent, I would urge you to avoid a northern / hardy type such as Highland, Galloway, Shetland, Blue Grey, Red Devon.  All of these breeds are likely to become obese on your good ground!/quote]---------

Obviously, you're right Sally in that the more traditional breeds will fatten faster on better grass than they would do on say rough moorland.
But fatten is what you want them to do, and the faster you can grow them on the grass available, the better. We have very good grass and can fatten a highland on grass alone in under 30 months. The breeding stock are in good condition, but not obese, as the grass is managed to suit their needs. 
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 02:50:13 pm by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2013, 03:23:08 pm »
Yes, but you aren't a novice, landroverroy ;).  For a novice on very good ground, I would recommend not getting a hardy thrify native ;)

Plus, you are near Pontefract.  Significantly better ground than me, and than the Highlands, I grant you.  But I suspect Kent is better yet ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

ShaunP

• Joined Dec 2009
    • Timber Chalets and Lodges
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2013, 06:54:14 pm »
Just out of curiosity, how much beef do you get from a Dexter?

Rosemary

I took mine in at 2 years old and we had around 90kgs from one and 70kgs from the other. One was was very lean and I the other was a short. They where hung for 32 days and that also knocks the finished weight back a bit. That weight was what came back vac packed ready to eat!! I was happy but would have liked to have hit 100kgs.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2013, 08:21:49 pm »
It sounds like it might be worth travelling north to buy cattle?

I don't have any, so I'm passing on second hand knowledge. But some small farmer friends of mine have both Shetlands and Galloways. They much prefer the Galloways, partly because they're polled. But also, they have a good market for their calves, folk like the look of them I think. They have Belted and Whites (the whites have brown or black ears-and-noses  ;D)

Cowgirl

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2013, 08:35:17 pm »
I haven't been on the forum for a while but couldn't resist a little plug for our favourite breed, the Traditional Hereford. They have horns but a number of breeders dehorn them at birth and I know you have a breeder quite near you. You could have a couple of cows but as a rare breed you would be expected to breed from them, or you could buy some steers and rear them. They are incredibly quiet to handle, if a bit stubborn, and their meat quality is famous. They are cheap to buy as weaned calves and will live on very little. They really are easy care cattle.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2013, 08:16:42 pm »
Having been brought up with galloways, I would suggest they are possibly not the ideal choice for a novice cow keeper.  I love them, but in general they are stroppy madams who are very quick to spot even the teeniest sign that you are not totally confident in what you are doing and take advantage.

I know nothing about traditional Herefords, but think they are beautiful.  I also saw some red poll cows at a sale a wee while back, and thought they were lovely - does anyone know anything about them, I'd never seen one in the flesh before.

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2013, 05:49:45 pm »
If they are your first don't bottle raise, its hard enough to put them off if you haven't had that much to do with them.
Also get something with Aberdeen Angus in it either pure or sired, that way you can put a few through the prime market and get the AA prices, eat 4 sell 3 covers all costs.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2013, 09:10:14 am »

Also get something with Aberdeen Angus in it either pure or sired, that way you can put a few through the prime market and get the AA prices, eat 4 sell 3 covers all costs.

The premium, 10ppk deadweight, is payable on all pedigree-sired native breed beef, I think.  Certainly Aberdeen Angus, Hereford and Shorthorn.  In fact, it's 20ppk for Shorthorn.

The premium is in fact paid only by Morrisons (gawd bless 'em, they really do help British farmers and British breeds :) ) but as they are a big buyer it impacts all sales of such beasts and meat. 

You will need the bull's pedigree, or at least pedigree name / number, to go with the calves' passports, and tell the auctioneer to announce that you have this information, in order for buyers to go that extra bid or two.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2013, 08:46:55 pm »

Jerseys are a small breed but only useful for milk and breeding really.  Once you are experienced, then a Jersey cow will give you milk for the house, a calf every year, and rear a few bought-in calves too.   :love: :cow:

True Sally, but a Jersey cross would be ideal - small, gentle, easy calving, etc etc.

British Blue X Jersey is my cross of choice. Cracking house cow or suckler cow. They calve really easily, are very docile, and will produce a  good beef animal if crossed back to a beef bull.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2014, 11:46:58 pm »
Just came across this post.  We have 4 jersey girls.  Bought the first 2 as 3 week old calves and hand reared them, then a year later got another 2 and did the same.  All are halter broken and a delight to handle.  2 were AI'd last summer but only managed to get one in calf, due in april. Went with an Aberdeen Angus, meant to be a very good cross for meat.  This is their first winter living out and have done really well, they are on our HLS ground so we cant supplimentry feed but they are all growing well on 10 acres of dry ground, with a lick bucket constantly available.  In the summer they go out on our water meadows.  Hopefully get both older girls in calf this summer, leaving the younger 2 till next year to AI. Definitly love jerseys!  Very easy cows to deal with.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2014, 07:47:06 am »
Milked Jerseys for 2 years a number of moons ago .... I love them ..... shame it is too wet and high here to have them unless housed in winter ..... hence I have Dexters and Shetlands  :hug: them too!!

Jersey's can be put to large continentals for very good beef
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS