Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: small cattle suggestions for a beginner  (Read 17396 times)

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: small cattle suggestions for a beginner
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2013, 11:18:49 pm »
We keep Dexters and Highlands.
 Dexters, being small, readily available and cheap, are what a large proportion of  smallholders start with.
 However the Highlands are much more docile. They are incredibly easy to keep. Being a largely unimproved breed, they have a digestive  system 30% more efficient than most other breeds, so do not need concentrates, but can fatten readily on forage alone.
They are fascinating animals and have a definite herd hierarchy. So the top cow is always the first to eat and drink. If she approaches, the lower order cows will move away to make room for her.  So if you have a feed ring with 12 spaces, you will only get 2 cows feeding at any one time, one at each side. We have about 10 highland cows and use 3 feed rings so they all get a chance to feed, otherwise the ones at the bottom of the pecking order will have to wait hours to feed once a new bale of hay has been put in.  The funniest thing is if some of our dexters are in with the highlands because the dexters don't recognise this pecking order. So when there's a new bale the dexters just push in and start eating, and nothing, but nothing will shift a dexter till it's had enough. The highlands get very put out by this as it destroys their system and they can't understand that a dexter is completely unintimidated by their horns.
So having said that, I must admit the highlands are my favourite every time.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Hamish Crofter

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Isle of Skye
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2013, 06:41:48 am »
This is great news, thank you

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2013, 05:47:25 pm »
We keep Dexters and Highlands.
 Dexters, being small, readily available and cheap, are what a large proportion of  smallholders start with.
 However the Highlands are much more docile. They are incredibly easy to keep. Being a largely unimproved breed, they have a digestive  system 30% more efficient than most other breeds, so do not need concentrates, but can fatten readily on forage alone.
They are fascinating animals and have a definite herd hierarchy. So the top cow is always the first to eat and drink. If she approaches, the lower order cows will move away to make room for her.  So if you have a feed ring with 12 spaces, you will only get 2 cows feeding at any one time, one at each side. We have about 10 highland cows and use 3 feed rings so they all get a chance to feed, otherwise the ones at the bottom of the pecking order will have to wait hours to feed once a new bale of hay has been put in.  The funniest thing is if some of our dexters are in with the highlands because the dexters don't recognise this pecking order. So when there's a new bale the dexters just push in and start eating, and nothing, but nothing will shift a dexter till it's had enough. The highlands get very put out by this as it destroys their system and they can't understand that a dexter is completely unintimidated by their horns.
So having said that, I must admit the highlands are my favourite every time.

Not sure I agree with you on that one, yes on the heirarchy as there will always be one within any kind of herd animal, but we have over 50 beef cows and they all feed between 2 rings and I can assure you more than 2 cows feed at any 1 time!

OP- I would steer away from dairy bull beef or raising on the bucket, and would be more inclined to find a local herd of the breed you like and buy some weaned stores direct from the farmer at 6mths old.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2013, 05:54:48 pm »
OP- I would steer away from dairy bull beef or raising on the bucket, and would be more inclined to find a local herd of the breed you like and buy some weaned stores direct from the farmer at 6mths old.

Why?  I wouldn't do dairy bulls either but if OP can get a couple of dairy x beef and raise them? I used to work as calf rearer so I'd be interested to know your reservations.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2013, 07:12:02 pm »
Given what prices dairy x beef calves are making at market, I just think it would make more financial sense to buy weaned stores from a beef herd, something like Red Ruby Devons are a nice smaller native breed. Raising on the bucket means a cost of housing, milk powder, cake, before the calf can be turned out to grass, and if this is the OP's first time with cattle I think a few weaned 6-7mth stores from a suckler herd would be better.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2013, 07:13:35 pm »
But bucket reared calves would be much easier to handle - a couple of 7 month old unhandled beef calves could be a bit of a handful.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2013, 07:17:54 pm »
We have a 2 yr old lim heifer that was raised on the bucket as she was very small when born- she is the size of an 8mth old calf now, she can be a bit of a pain really, doesn't have as much respect for you, no spacial awareness and can be quite bargy, like any artificially reared animal. You have to be very confident around her or she will knock you over! She spent the summer out with a group of 8-12mth old calves that were weaned June time, who after a month or so of feeding a small amount of corn every day now come to a bucket and when called quite easily.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2013, 07:57:30 pm »
Well, we're making sure the OP has lots of information  :thumbsup:

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2013, 08:40:15 pm »
I reading all comments with interest thanks peoples. Having spoken to more experienced stockman, I do wonder if bucket reared dairy cross calves might be a bit delicate/hard work for a novice. Down here im looking at £1000 plus for a sussex cow, which is out of my price range. But I have tracked down some reasonably priced dexters (£350 - £500), but that still aint cheap. What price are you folks paying for your cattle?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2013, 08:57:36 am »
£450 - £500 for a weaned calf, bull, bullock or heifer; I've never bought an adult Shetland.

ShaunP

• Joined Dec 2009
    • Timber Chalets and Lodges
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2013, 07:55:05 pm »
Paid £500 for a pair of 1 year old weaned Dexter steers.

We have to pay £85 kill cost regardless of size but the butcher charges per kilo. We also sent our first ones a little early as we where hungry!!! The same fate may happen to the current pair as we are out of beef in the freezer. They will get a small reprieve as lambs due back next week!!!

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2013, 03:49:38 pm »
We have about 10 highland cows and use 3 feed rings so they all get a chance to feed, otherwise the ones at the bottom of the pecking order will have to wait hours to feed once a new bale of hay has been put in.

---   "Not sure I agree with you on that one, yes on the heirarchy as there will always be one within any    kind of herd animal, but we have over 50 beef cows and they all feed between 2 rings and I can assure you more than 2 cows feed at any 1 time! "----

I assume twizzel that your 50 beef cows are not highlands, which have a herd hierarchy unlike any other breed.
 Highlands would not all get a chance  to feed with only 2 rings between 50 cows, and nothing else to eat.
 I once bought 10 highlands from a chap who had one feed ring between 14 of them. The 2 top cows weighed 600kg. The 2 at the bottom of the pecking order weighed 275 and 320kg and he had no idea because of their thick coats. The feed ring was emptied by the time the inferior ones were allowed near it.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 04:02:09 pm by landroverroy »
Rules are made:

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2013, 04:09:11 pm »
I reading all comments with interest thanks peoples. Having spoken to more experienced stockman, I do wonder if bucket reared dairy cross calves might be a bit delicate/hard work for a novice. Down here im looking at £1000 plus for a sussex cow, which is out of my price range. But I have tracked down some reasonably priced dexters (£350 - £500), but that still aint cheap. What price are you folks paying for your cattle?
In yorkshire you can easily get a yearling dexter for £150 - £200.
 We sell highlands at £400 - yearling
                                  £600 - 2 year old heifer in calf
                                  £850 - cow with calf and run with bull again.

Rules are made:

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2013, 05:52:58 pm »
Wish we had those prices down here. £250 for weaned dexter heifers, or £500-600 for 12month old normal sized heifer

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2013, 06:19:05 pm »
Where are you then?
Rules are made:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS