Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Still picking tomatoes  (Read 4198 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Still picking tomatoes
« on: November 10, 2013, 05:35:44 pm »
My unheated greenhouse tomatoes are still ripening and I keep picking them. wonder how much longer I'll get away with it. I've never picked tomatoes in November before.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
Re: Still picking tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 07:13:39 pm »
Got my last ones in yesterday.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 07:52:28 pm »
Just had some with my dinner, as well as some mange tout, the peas are still flowering and fruiting and they are under no cover at all. An odd year.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 08:07:31 pm »
Still picking tomatoes up here too as they ripen. The sun is doing a grand job but Im having to keep the frost out through the night this week. So mild for here this time of year  :sunshine:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 08:56:11 pm »
It's amazing, isn't it? I have roses blooming in the garden.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 12:37:31 am »
If mine hadn't had blight, I reckon they'd have still been going. Raspberries still ripening (just) and Strawberries are still flowering although I imagine that'll come to nowt. I can't help feeling it'll mean a stressful winter though - I feel I should be finished cleaning up for autumn by now but since everything is still growing (grass too), it's hard to get on with the cutting back, compost spreading, digging etc. So I know it's all going to go really suddenly and I'll have bare root trees to plant as well as the fruit tree pruning, all at the same time as trying to do what should have been done in October.

H

Spinningfishwife

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 08:30:09 am »
I picked the last of my greenhouse  tomatoes a couple of weeks ago and brought them into the house to ripen but I'm wishing I'd left them, despite the two frosts we've had. I have two chilli plants under bottle cloches I'd forgotten about and when I looked at them yesterday they were still happily reddening up. The autumn rasps are still going strong too, there's something very decadent about fresh rasps from the garden in November. I think the plants have had such a good summer that they've been strong and healthy enough to resist the cooler weather longer.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 09:49:56 pm »
I think you're right, SFW.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 05:49:22 pm »
And today, when I was on my way to the greenhouse to pick some more tomatoes, I saw that my nasturtium has finally decided to produce a flower.

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 08:09:38 am »
We've got some strawberries growing in containers outside the backdoor and I managed to pick and eat one this morning.

Spinningfishwife

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 08:42:34 am »
We've got some strawberries growing in containers outside the backdoor and I managed to pick and eat one this morning.

I'm still getting a few small berries from the alpine strawberries under my plum tree. They're in the most sheltered area of the garden but still, it's unusual. It was round about now three years ago when we got the very heavy snows after all. I live in a coastal town so we very rarely even get snow lying, but in November 2010 we were snowed in for a week and had a good layer of snow till after the new Year. And now, strawberries! Very weird.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 08:47:53 am by Spinningfishwife »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS