Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep hurdles hight  (Read 3282 times)

Cjnewton82

• Joined Nov 2012
Sheep hurdles hight
« on: November 10, 2013, 02:36:23 pm »
I'm going to buy in ten sheep hurdles 6ft long  but how high should they be 3ft or 4ft?? Just going to use them for checking the sheep foot trimming dreaching etc.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Sheep hurdles hight
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 04:38:50 pm »
My Shetlands are good jumpers but haven't jumped over the standard 3ft hurdles so I would say they are ok. The trouble with the taller ones is that you can't lean over them which can be a pain, plus they cost more. Might be useful for a semi permanent race if you fit a gate into it tho.

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 08:18:53 pm »
Depends on your breed of sheep. If its a lowland breed 3ft is fine, but if they are a highland or primitive breed 4ft would be safer. Also depends how you handle them, keep them calm and confined close, your ok, but scare them or make them panic and they could be off to the hills!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 12:39:24 pm »
Think ours are 3 ft and that's for Soay. Know they could clear them if they had a mind but as thenovice says we keep everything nice and calm and our daughter makes a good collie guarding the end they are more likely to escape from. Also as small an area as possible ..... less likely to run and jump when there's less space.

daveh

• Joined Nov 2008
  • South Northamptonshire
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 06:57:30 pm »
I keep Castlemilk Moorits and made my own hurdles to handle them. They are 3 feet high and the sheep don't attempt to get over them. I pinched the design from Tim Tyne's book.

Regards, David

Pasture Farm

• Joined Aug 2011
  • East Lincolnshire
  • Trusty Traca
    • Pasture Poultry
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 07:54:57 am »
Only ever used 3ft    don't fancy climbing over a four foot

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS