Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: It's not spinning sorry it's a present  (Read 1795 times)

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
It's not spinning sorry it's a present
« on: November 07, 2013, 11:30:55 pm »
Want to do a present for my wife

Want an artwork about 4ft x 1.5 ft, it's going to be charactures of the cats, thinking of knitting them?

Anyone tried this type of thing, thinking of doing a base in white Aran then knitting the cats seperatly and stitching them on, then blocking it and having it framed

What do you recon, anyone do be something similar?

Spinningfishwife

• Joined Oct 2013
Re: It's not spinning sorry it's a present
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 07:40:49 am »
You might be better blocking and stretching the base piece first, otherwise the sewn on sections will probably distort. My other thought is that if you're working with wool (non-superwash) you could do some of the fine detail with needle felting?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 08:15:30 am »
It sounds very interesting. A mix of knitting and needle felting and maybe wet felting would look lovely. Can't wait to see a pic of the finished article.  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 08:55:03 am »
Never tried needle or wet felting, google time, it's for Christmas so I recon I can get the base knitted next week & cats sketched an converted to patterns ( might do that first ) then I've got 3 weeks if I'm going to get it framed, might have bitten off more than I can chew , I shall start drawing this afternoon

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 09:21:54 am »
Needle felting is very quick so if you are thinking along those lines and as you are short of time it might be easier to incorporate it than wet felting
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 07:24:32 pm »
You could always knit the background then needle felt the cats to save time. I have combined woven backgrounds with knitting attached and it's very effective so I think knitting and needle felting would work. If you do the background in pure wool (the hand wash only type) and do it bigger than you want you can always felt it in the washing machine.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS