Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: DIY Christmas Gifts?  (Read 11625 times)

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
Re: DIY Christmas Gifts?
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2014, 06:35:16 pm »
defo for me recieving and giving.  :)  OH's sister in cambridge makes her own jams & chutneys, OH brother in cornwall makes his own jam & honey, OH other sister in Harlech makes jam, my sister in Notts makes jam, chutneys and beetroot, snowballs in 'prettied up jars'.  we do jam, chutney, beetroot and beach combed things.  I do lots of cross stitch, easy to make lavender pouches, cushions etc.  I enjoy making each gift and making it personal. 

I am liking the sound of the toffee vodka, my sister and mum would like that.....shopping list.....

When I eventually start to knit and  :spin::roflanim: ) standby for a whole load of those wooly goodies.  ;D

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2014, 06:37:53 pm »
If I get time I also do 'cartoon strips' of the person I am giving it to, if they have done something funny this year  ;D

I also like to do a hamper for my mum and step dad with lots of local stuff in like, cheese!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2014, 09:49:43 pm »
I have a lot of old fleece as well. I can get some dying practice in at the same time.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2014, 01:40:43 pm »

HappyHippy

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2014, 02:29:47 pm »
Felted soaps are great for keeping kids occupied (and quiet!)
Round soaps are easiest, anything with a pointy corner is trickier  ;)

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2014, 04:21:53 pm »
Felted soaps are great for keeping kids occupied (and quiet!)
Round soaps are easiest, anything with a pointy corner is trickier  ;)
My first attempt is drying  :excited:   It looks just the right colour for my bathroom too!  :roflanim:

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2014, 09:06:08 pm »
Take 4 large oranges, pierce each one 40 times with a small pointy knife. Place in a large (sweety) jar and add 40 sugar cubes, 40 coffee beans and a litre bottle of cheap brandy. Shake 4 times a day (if you remember) for 40 days then strain through muslin, remembering to squeeze or eat the oranges. Put into small bottles, or larger ones for those you love well. Nectar :yum: :yum:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2014, 09:50:06 pm »
I love the look of those felted soaps.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2014, 10:10:09 pm »
I love the look of those felted soaps.

I'll take a photo of mine when they are dry, but they look lovely now! 

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2014, 07:27:58 am »
And I've put all my unwanted fleeces in next year's runner bean trench :'(

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2014, 11:56:37 am »
Over the last 2-3 years we have given our own homemade hampers to folk at Christmas.
Homemade mincepies, shortie, chocolate covered peppermint creams, pistachio fudge, jams/marmalade, bramble whisky (its like fruit squash  :yum:) and plum gin.
They have always gone down very well with folks - especially older members of the family who 'have everything' already.

I also do bowls of hyacinths too (now's the time to plant them up) for giving at Christmas.

I would like to do something with some of the oak that we have cut up from our tree that was pruned but time is against me.  Maybe next year.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2014, 11:03:31 pm »
We could set up a proper cottage industry between us.  :spin: :knit: :stir: :cake:

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2014, 08:05:41 am »
Short of money friends one year made lovely liver pate packed into scrounged plastic takeaway containers and decorated on top with bay leaves and glace cherries. It was delicious.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2014, 09:55:56 am »
This year I am giving olive oil infused with chillis that I have grown and beeswax polish which is at this moment hardening in the kitchen  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2014, 11:29:51 pm »
 :roflanim: Sally, I think you might need a bit of punctuation there. I read that as the oil was infused with chillis and beeswax polish.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS