Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: DIY Christmas Gifts?  (Read 11622 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: DIY Christmas Gifts?
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2013, 02:41:26 pm »
The florentines sound lovely. They always look christmassy and are a real treat  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2013, 03:09:19 pm »
This year I have made some jam and pickled onions but these are for New year gifts. What about giving a few packets of veg seeds done this in the past and always well received. I have also made home made chocs and made up in a  fruit basket with these added. woman who work would love home made mince pies etc. things like this often mean more than any expensive gift.

FrostyM

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wicklow, Ireland
    • My Overcrowded Garden
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2013, 06:48:29 pm »
Wow, so many responses! Thanks everyone  :thumbsup:

Today I put the blackberries in with a bottle of brandy. I had considered using vodka but I have some raspberry vodka made so decided to try something different. And don't worry I won't be giving it all away, I will need a sample for quality control  :innocent:

I made some chutney at the end of the summer with bits and bobs I had in the garden. I have tasted it and I am pleased with it. I think a few jars of that would go down well but when I made it I used whatever jars I had lying around the place. Would it be okay to take it out of the jars and put it in new ones that I have bought. Sterilising them first of course.

I like the idea of checking around some local markets. I could find some nice things I couldn't make or I might get some ideas of things I can do myself. My Mam currently has the Christmas cake/cupcake/mince pie/cookie market cornered in our family and I dare not compete with her.  :D

Also werther's original vodka is a must try, I will have to try plenty of it myself first of course  ;D I remember going to a party in college once or twice where a brightly coloured bottle of spirits was handed to me. Being a broke student I wasn't turning down free drink so I swigged away. It was a bottle of skittle vodka made in the same way as your werther's vodka. It dissolved the coulouring from the skittles but not the centre. So you were left with anaemic looking skittles in the bottle when you were finished. The life of a student haha  ::)

Anyway thanks for all the ideas. Lots to think about  :thumbsup:

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2013, 11:05:07 am »
I don't think it would be a good idea to transfer the chutney even to a sterilized jar as it will come into contact with bacteria and won't keep.

Could you cut some circles of fabric, pretty wrapping paper or even brown recycled parcel wrap, pop these over the lids and secure with wool, string or ribbon? Make labels for the jars too. They will look more attractive than new jars and better to re-use.

You can buy covers and labels but fun and more personal to make your own.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2013, 11:12:50 am »
I agree with ITH, I wouldn't risk transferring the chutney either. Much better to 'pretty up' the jars that it's already in.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

FrostyM

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wicklow, Ireland
    • My Overcrowded Garden
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2013, 12:25:44 pm »
Thanks for that advice about the chutney. Prettying up the jars it is  :thumbsup:

smithycraft

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2013, 04:51:07 pm »
I made some salted caramels to add to hampers last year with my own goat cream and butter, then wrapped them individually in greaseproof paper.   They were simple to make and tasted wonderful.

Recipe here:

http://www.thepinkwhisk.co.uk/2012/12/day-3-salted-caramels.html

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2013, 04:56:26 pm »
.....and just a thought, if anyone is making mince pies this year, a friend of mine makes them with shortbread biscuit mixture instead of pastry, they taste super yum but make them small as they're rich.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2013, 09:43:07 pm »
Oooh I love that idea Goosepimple!  And whilst you have reminded me - I also make mince pie vodka which was a great treat last year!  Just put some mincemeat in vodka and wait a couple of weeks then strain, then drink!   :excited:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2013, 11:08:37 pm »
My mouth is watering.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2013, 10:17:18 am »
not much chance of us remaining slim and sober is there  ;D  was there ever anyway  :innocent:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

lauren85

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2014, 09:30:58 am »
A few years ago as a christmas gift, I made painted pillowcases using RIT dye and paint brushes. I thought the kids would like them for sleepovers and my nieces are still using them almost six years later.

Some other ideas:
Terrariums made from Mason jars filled with moss and ivy.

Hand-knit mittens and scarves.

Potato print T shirts are easy and really fun, or tie-dye t-shirts. My sisters and I made them for all of the kids in our family:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97...m/DSCI0025.jpg

I'll be watching this thread for more ideas!

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2014, 09:38:33 am »
Good, timely bump lauren85!

I am going to have a go at these

http://ewespecial.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/dryer-balls.html

seeing as. I have a ton of spare fleece...

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2014, 09:45:52 am »
Loving this post  :thumbsup: will be keeping an eye on it !

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2014, 12:01:26 pm »
Good, timely bump lauren85!

I am going to have a go at these

http://ewespecial.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/dryer-balls.html

seeing as. I have a ton of spare fleece...

Love this idea

Keep the ideas coming 
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS