Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: DIY Christmas Gifts?  (Read 11623 times)

FrostyM

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wicklow, Ireland
    • My Overcrowded Garden
    • Facebook
DIY Christmas Gifts?
« on: November 07, 2013, 12:11:11 am »
Right this year I am planning on making some of my christmas presents for a few people I think would appreciate it. Some of the ideas I have so far include jars of chutney, onion marmalade, flavoured salts, infused spirits, homemade chocolates and maybe some mulled wine sets. The majority of these are untested so I have to see if they work out. Does any one have any other ideas or any gifts that they have given that were well received?

Also another related question I have some blackberries in the freezer that I was thinking of infusing in a spirit, does anyone know what spirit would be best? Rum? Brandy? Vodka?

Thanks for reading folks  :thumbsup:

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: DIY Christmas Gifts?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 02:30:08 am »
My wife makes chocs and some really yummy biscuits. Not keen on Rum at all FrostyM and I'm not sure blackberries won't just disintegrate?

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 07:33:17 am »
I made raspberry jam last year and gave some jars as gifts. The jars were given back a few months later in the hope of a repeat gift.Unfortunately I didn't get raspberry picking in time to make any this year.
My niece gave me a gift of homemade chocolate truffles in a decorated jar. It was the most proudly received gift I've had, and the chocs were lovely.

Raine

• Joined May 2011
  • Lincoln
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 07:39:21 am »
 :wave:
I would put the blackberries in Vodka with a little sugar. Then store in the dark for four weeks, turning weekly.  Strain into new bottles... Hic!

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 07:41:59 am »
I make blackberry vodka, and it is scrummy, but I do know that brandy is good too.  i always make chocolate florentines as presents and they are so Christmassy and always well received.  Last year I also made chocolate dipped candied peel (orange, lemon and grapefruit strips) and they were delicious!

Spinningfishwife

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 08:00:53 am »
I do a fair bit of knitting for Christmas gifts but it might be a bit late now to start a lot of projects? Hats and fingerless mitts in DK and thicker are the fastest things to make, scarves and socks can take longer. I also make jam and dress the jars up with little mob caps made of Christmas fabric and tied on with thin gold ribbon and a fancy tag.

I've also started off hyacinths and other early bulbs in nice dishes and bowls, I keep an eye open for suitable containers in charity shops and jumble sales. Old casserole dishes which have lost their lids look nice!

Best things though are hampers, you can use a paper covered box and shredded newspaper for packing, a couple of jars of home made jam, some  home made biscuits, chocolates etc, you can mix in a few commercial products like a bottle of wine.

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 08:06:08 am »
I'm also doing the DIY Christmas gift thing for family and friends :thumbsup: . Never done it before so don't know if it will go down well. I hope so because the parents and grandparents are getting 15 jars each  :o . I've made quite a lot  :innocent: . 68 jars at last count not including jars already given away and jar that are filling our cupboards  :yum: .
 As for the blackberries
:wave:
I would put the blackberries in Vodka with a little sugar. Then store in the dark for four weeks, turning weekly.  Strain into new bottles... Hic!
I couldn't of put it any better. But don't give it away, drink it. It is for Christmas after all  :eyelashes:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 09:06:35 am »
I've heard that a couple of packets of Werthers original infused in a bottle of vodka gives you lovely toffee vodka. I think it only takes a couple of days too.
I might give this a go with a small bottle (for starters  ;D )
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 09:20:01 am »
I've heard that a couple of packets of Werthers original infused in a bottle of vodka gives you lovely toffee vodka. I think it only takes a couple of days too.

Let us know what it's like  :eyelashes:

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 12:19:01 pm »
I'm also trying the DIY Christmas gifts this year. Mine shall be bottles of spiced mead, jars of raspberry jam (if I manage it), various knitting and raw fleece peg loom rugs. No doubt there will still be some commercial stuff bought, but I am hoping those that receive the hand made will appreciate. I might have to try these infused spirits though!

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 12:23:30 pm »

Let us know what it's like  :eyelashes:

I too am wondering! But also wondering how someone first thought of trying it :-DDD

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 12:29:50 pm »
Well I have just put a small bottle of vodka on my shopping list and some werthers so will be making it this weekend.
If my typing is sloppier than usual after that you will know that i have been trying it just a bit too much  :roflanim:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 12:49:32 pm »
Vodka and Werthers sales will be on the up, this weekend, as we all rush out to try this!!

I enjoy receiving home made gifts.  A friends hubby was handy with metalwork, and he made some nice candlestick holders one year.  I think a lot of people would appreciate the idea of homemade things, especially edible goodies.  Shortbread, biscuits, chocolates, and make up a little hamper, which can also be good for bottles and jars.  If anyone collected sloes, sloe gin is a good present too.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 01:31:15 pm »
We buy jute bags and fill with homemade jams and chutneys. Also buy cider and apple juice made down the lane to go in. And homemade Christmas cakes ..... small ones. Seem to go down well. Visit local farmers/craft markets and buy chocolate goodies etc.

Knit scarves ... also seem popular. Lots of different wools to choose from to suit younger family members too.

Received homemade walking sticks once ..... loved them. Neighbour makes us shortbread .... yum.

Try not to buy from the big shops/companies. Make what we can and then support local crafters/growers.

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 01:49:36 pm »
Previously I've done homemade florentines and caramel and chocolate topped shortbread. This year I will do small Christmas cakes in loaf tins decorated with glazed fruit and nuts. Chocolate cake will be an alternative if I know they will prefer it. Most people will also get a wooly hat; although unfortunately I haven't had time to make them myself.

Helen

:thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS