Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: This is going to be a really sad post for me....  (Read 4524 times)

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
This is going to be a really sad post for me....
« on: November 05, 2013, 10:26:10 am »
... as some of you know I am selling up my home of 25 years and intend to travel taking Phoebe, my Great Dane with me in a yet to be purchased motorhome

All my poultry and stock have been sold and on 23 Nov, the rest of the house garden and farm contents are to go - the house is "sold subject to contract" and the purchasers are talking of moving in very soon

But I have alovely little cat here and I won't be able to take her with me.  I had hoped that anyone moving in would be a cat lover who would have fallen in love with her, but the prospective purchasers have no pets or animals and say their youngest daughter is frightened of them.

Domino (three distinct black spots on her one side) was given me by a neighbouring farmer some 10 or more years ago, and is a tiny little thing but very healthy.  She is the most trouble free cat imaginable.  Completely trustworthy in the house - she does have a cat flap - and I have never once had an accident in the house even when she was a kitten,

I can leave food on the table and worksurfaces overnight without problems.  She lives on Lidl cat nibbles which are 99p a Kilo and hunts full time when she is not asleep in her cat hammock.  She is a mouser, but doesnt brings her prey in only hunting to kill and eat and she rarely takes wild birds, just the occasional youngster who must pretty well fall into her mouth  She is safe with all poultry and I have had chicks in boxes in the kitchen with her overnight. 

She is a timid little thing, but very loving once she gets used to you and feels safe.  Her purr is very apologetic but is there once she loves you and feels safe.  When she does she loves to wash your hands, (and face if you will let her) and get any burrs off your jumper for you

I would really like to see her in a quiet country home, preferably not too near roads as she just panics when she sees traffic. 

And I would like to keep her with me as long as possible - I might still be here in the spring !!!!!
But if someone is in urgent need of a lovely cat and can offer her a lovely home I would rather that than keep her with me selfishly

I shall miss her dreadfully but if I know she is going somewhere loving that will make things easier.

Ph if you want a chat and think you can help
Sue 01885 482848
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: This is going to be a really sad post for me....
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 01:06:30 pm »
I'm miles away but happy to take her if you don't find anyone closer whenever she needs a new home. I've got two big bold (neutered) brother cats so there's always a danger they'd rule the roost but apart from that we pretty much fill your bill. Quiet road but plenty of room away from that. So sad your purchasers didn't want her - my mother in law and father in law adopted the two cats that lived on the farm they moved into.

H

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 01:31:21 pm »
Good luck darkbrown, I enjoy your posts very much and I do hope you find a home for pussy, all the best to all of you  :-*
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 02:51:07 pm »
Hope you find a lovely home for her, Sue.  She wouldn't do here with the railway line and bypass nearby.

Word of caution on the 'subject to contract' sale - that's how Sandy and Steve got let down.  I've never accepted such an offer and never would.  It is not binding and can't be pursued in court.  Not even in Scotland!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 06:56:13 pm »
Sue, I'm in Evesham - I will do all I can to help out. Not sure how Snowball would take to another cat but I can at least ask around and maybe Ben across the road could do with a mouser for his 300 acres. Really hope it works out x
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 07:19:06 pm »
Thanks everyone for the replies and I am pleased to say  :fc:  that there might just be  a possibility of a loving home somewhere which just sounds ideal for her.

I will keep you posted as its not all settled yet.

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 08:10:02 pm »
If that home falls through, we would be very happy for Domino to come and live with us - and you can come and check us out first Sue ;D

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 04:37:39 pm »
Well it seems she may still be potentially homeless in a few weeks.  I am quite sad as it sounded ideal being far from the roads, but these things are meant to be

Her ideal place would be somewhere without other pets, though I appreciate this is unlikely to happen

She did share her territory for a few years when my brothers elderly cat moved in but they werent in the same room and the relationship was always very tense between them - basically they just kept out of each others way

Then later on a stray moved into the barn for a few years, but once again my cat wouldnt have allowed her in the house

I worry that if she has to move home which will be unsettling enough that if there is another cat already in residence she will just run off.  And being such a timid thing it is unlikely that she would "make the first approaches" and find herself a new billet.  Although she is an excellent hunter and would keep herself fed she is probably around 12 now and living rough she will probably deteriorate then not be strong enough to fend for herself

I am feeling all tearful typing this.  I would take her in my motorhome but I think it would be too stressful for her and probably I would lose her in a very short time.

I can just see her now out of the corner of my eye walking up the edge of the border in front of the house to go and do some mousing by the bird table.  She will sit there for hours intent on the runs under the slabs and birds come in and feed over her head  :)

She is used to dogs and loves my Dane - I have seen her trying to wash Phoebe's face if she is lying with her head on the ground.  But she would run like mad from any strange dog and probably not come back

So I do hope I can find her a nice home with someone caring - thanks Bramblecot if you message me your phone number I will phone you tonight, or sometime convenient.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Postscript to all of the above..... it seems there may still be a chance of the offer of the first home  :fc:

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 04:39:46 pm »
Domino's first day

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 04:42:15 pm »
more photos

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 05:01:01 pm »
She is lovely.

No good for her here as we have a cat and 2 bouncy dogs (who wouldn't hurt her but too much for her from your description).

I will ask around.  :fc:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 07:44:12 pm »
What a lovely cat  :love:

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 10:31:14 pm »
She's beautiful. How sad for you. Fingers crossed some one really nice will want to love her as much as you obviously do.

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 01:40:50 pm »
Hi Sue

I really do hope you will find the right home for Domino, I can only imagine your heartache over having to leave her behind. (I'd love to offer (we are definitely away from the roads) but I have 4 resident cats aleady plus one, soon to be two, dogs so this wouldn't be the right place.)

You did mention though that you'd love her to come with you in the motorhome, and I just wanted to give you a nudge to not discard this idea entirely. I have heard of many cats that can be very adaptable to new situations, including travelling, so maybe she could get used to this? If she's timid but knows and trusts you (and your dog), maybe it would be less stressful for her to be in a new environment with you, than in a new environment without you? You could maybe get her used to a harness and let her go out on that for a few weeks once you get on the road, and she will lean that this is her new home?
Obviously, I don't know your cat and your situation at all, so this may all be a studpid idea, but maybe worth just mulling over that possibility again too?

Katerina
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 01:51:01 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion - I had a different cat years ago and I could have definitely taken him with me and he would have loved it.  But this one is such a different character that I know if wouldnt work  :(

But there are a couple of potential homes on offer for her which both sound ideal, so I am feeling much happier about things now.  I will let you all know whenever anything is settled

As I say I may well still be here next spring as one never knows how long house sales are going to take, and I do love her and would like to keep her with me for as long as possible.  I have all the auctioneers with me again today and the house is totally upside down, but she still went out and caught a mouse and ate it.

She is confident around her own place and things and knows no real harm comes to her so just gets on with her own life.   She is out in the sun hunting again now  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS