Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mastitis update ! yuk......  (Read 1882 times)

bizzielizzie66

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
Mastitis update ! yuk......
« on: October 21, 2013, 09:54:32 pm »
Hello all....

I posted earlier about an old jersey suckler cow with mastitis.  It's been a bit of a nightmare - she had her teat amputated to help the pus drain - lots more antibiotics (and huge vet bill) and more pus than I have ever seen in my life....

The vet warned me it would look mightily unpleasant for a good while and that the quarter would just slough off  BUT I was totally unprepared for what happened on Saturday - the quarter turned inside out and she now has a huge lump of what was inside dangling on the outside - it is HIDEOUS!   It's like that quarter has exploded and there is nothing I can do apparently until it all shrivels up and drops off.  My god  - I thought I had a strong stomach but it turns mine good and proper......

I might even subject you all to a photo tomorrow so you too can share the sight of an exploded udder - it's a shame you haven't got an emoticon for nauseous!!!!

I think I've gone off cows      :-J  - I'm joking honestly - I do feel very sorry for the poor old Jersey and she's been such a good patient...
Keeper of Ryelands (learner) , Geese, Bantams, Chickens, Ducks , Horses & Cattle.  Animal Feed Merchant by day & BSc Agriculture graduate of yore :)

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Mastitis update ! yuk......
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 09:52:30 am »
Don't worry. It looks worse than it is and you'll be more upset by it than the cow herself.
I've had that happen to a sheep, on one side. After it came away, it gradually healed fine and she raised a lamb quite happily the next year on the remaining side.
 And the good thing is that your cow now won't keep getting mastitis in the affected quarter.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 10:27:08 am »
We had it happen to a ewe too, she lost one side of her udder and it eventually shrivelled up. It was disgusting though, and we had to inject antibiotics right up inside the udder daily poor thing.

bizzielizzie66

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 07:07:31 pm »
Thank you for making me feel a bit better about it - it's been a grim experience. My Vet isn't suggesting further anti-biotics (though I have them handy should the cow look poorly, which she doesn't). He says just let nature take it's course.  I couldn't resist spraying the mass with iodine spray today - I thought it might help it dry off and shrivel. - and disinfect and cover the smell. I would think it would draw every fox in the neighbourhood!!  Here, as threatened, is the  photo. Apologies if you've eaten recently.....!

Thanks for the words of comfort - they help enormously
Keeper of Ryelands (learner) , Geese, Bantams, Chickens, Ducks , Horses & Cattle.  Animal Feed Merchant by day & BSc Agriculture graduate of yore :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS