Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Current Health Issues  (Read 23614 times)

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
Current Health Issues
« on: October 18, 2013, 11:32:08 am »
As we have quite a few breeders, show dog owners and agility dog owners etc on here I have put this a sticky at the top of the board (I'll delete this bit once it gets going) - hope you think it's useful and makes sense.

The purpose of this thread is to identify current health issues pertinent to dog owners that members have become aware of and feel is of use to other members, please can you

Post any current issues you feel we need to be aware of
Self manage those posts, so if the issue has died down or gone away remove the post

Please note, this is not meant to be a discussion thread, if you want to discuss it start a new thread, the idea being to keep the serious stuff serious, as the original poster, if anything comes up in discussion please feel free to modify your original post.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Current Health Issues
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 04:47:15 pm »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 11:39:14 am »
Obviously no-one on here is interested in the health of their dogs or any they produce by breeding!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 01:27:05 pm »
Why ????????  ???

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 02:08:14 pm »
I found the Kennel Club invaluable for finding out what health issues my breed of dog could have and what health tests that she needed to have before deciding  whether or not to breed from her. Those tests also with her breed standard was what be based the fact on with regard to her just recently having a litter.

The Kennel Club also has a list of who carries out the tests etc. for example Vets who take xrays for hip or elbow scoring.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 02:26:56 pm »
Yes, I used it before buying my last 2 pups.

Think most people on here are interested.  ??? ..... just not many current health issues affecting us directly at the moment.

Isn't this for posting about disease problems too eg kennel cough outbreaks ?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 03:39:03 pm »
Yes, I used it before buying my last 2 pups.

Think most people on here are interested.  ??? ..... just not many current health issues affecting us directly at the moment.

Isn't this for posting about disease problems too eg kennel cough outbreaks ?
There is Kennel Cough and Parvo in some areas - nothing been mentioned since this was started mid October, that's why I thought no-one was interested.  If a thread is not kept live it drops off the radar

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 09:23:57 am »
Took Murphy for his annual booster last week and the vet told me that they are now using a new annual vaccine for dogs that spend any amount of time near farms or waterways. She said that we have a terrible rise in the cases of Lungworm and that she's seen many dogs in ITU as a result.
We have switched to the new drug (apologies but I dont' have the name to hand) and its just £12 a year and offers the necessary protection.
This link is from the USA but gives some useful info - where it says raccoons are carriers, switch to 'rats'  to make relevant to here  ;D  [urlhttp://www.vetinfo.com/lungworm-in-dogs.html][/url]

Not sure if I've put this in the right section as worried it might get missed? does it need to go in the main 'dogs' area as a new thread?
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 09:29:29 am »
Another report on mystery illnesses -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25820926

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 09:34:43 pm »
something more to worry about.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 12:31:12 pm »
Just as a matter of interest, has anyone had a problem after their puppy received their injections. Our Jack Russell no longer gets his boosters as he became very ill after his last one . Now Jake was one of 4 puppies, he is the only one still living. The other 3 died after there first injections and no reason was ever found.  Jake was fine thank goodness. Every dog we have ever had has been fine with injections and I just wondered has anyone else come across this. My vet says its very rare.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 12:59:06 pm »
Just found this Sabrina.

When we moved in we ended up taking on the cat that belonged to the previous owners of the property. They moved over 4 miles away and didn't keep her in so she kept returning. Anyway .... ours now.

She was neutered but had never been vaccinated. The vet gave her the first dose in the course but she was very ill for a few days afterwards. We were really worried. She appeared really quite ill and the vet could find no obvious cause. She did recover after a few days but we didn't have the second injection since the vet could not guarantee that it wasn't a reaction of some kind to the vaccine and we read that the reaction after a second dose could be more severe. Vet did say that if it was a reaction it was rare.

She is a "senior" cat and though I know there is a risk of her contracting something, we hope she has built up immunity.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 11:17:15 am »
Just as a matter of interest, has anyone had a problem after their puppy received their injections. Our Jack Russell no longer gets his boosters as he became very ill after his last one . Now Jake was one of 4 puppies, he is the only one still living. The other 3 died after there first injections and no reason was ever found.  Jake was fine thank goodness. Every dog we have ever had has been fine with injections and I just wondered has anyone else come across this. My vet says its very rare.
I had a pug that reacted badly to his puppy inoculations after his first on he was very low, wouldn't eat and was panting all of the time.This went on for 2 days . After his second one he started fitting within 30 mins of having it and ended up in the vets for 5 days on a drip. It was touch and go
After that he never took another fit. 1 year later when his booster was due we talked to the vets and they said to take him in and they would monitor him.  again he started fitting so he never had another booster and never again had a fit
Graham

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 03:21:33 pm »
Lots of notices in our vets about lungworm becoming a serious problem - years ago it was hardly ever mentioned.  Please be aware.  Only known one working dog with it and she was pts pdq (pretty damn quick :( ). 

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 01:43:12 pm »
Lots of notices in our vets about lungworm becoming a serious problem - years ago it was hardly ever mentioned.  Please be aware.  Only known one working dog with it and she was pts pdq (pretty damn quick :( ). 
I have heard a lot about this too and seem to have a lot of slugs (carriers) around at the moment. My problem is that the treatments which do fleas and lungworm do not do ticks, and the ticks are really bad at the moment. Do you know of any preventatives which do ticks and lungworm? I do not like using so many chemicals and having to double up these treatments isn't my ideal.
What does everyone else do?
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS