Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sheep hurdles  (Read 7268 times)

guskyle

• Joined Dec 2012
sheep hurdles
« on: October 17, 2013, 05:45:01 pm »
Hi
Where is the best place to get sheep hurdles galvanised that inter lock and light from??

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
Re: sheep hurdles
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 08:31:15 pm »
We buy ours from a man who comes round with a van.

morayjohny

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 09:20:01 pm »
Where abouts are you guskyle?

guskyle

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 09:21:09 pm »
Keith aberdeenshire

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 10:08:35 pm »
We buy ours from a man who comes round with a van.
You have  a man with a van?   Wish i did  :(

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 10:31:59 pm »
Yes, a man came round our place with a van last year. He had all sorts of "second hand" gates, hurdles, equipment, tools, generators etc in the back. Now I'm sure your chap is genuine Mowhaugh, but it does pay to be careful I guess!  ;)
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 06:59:22 am »
I get mine from our local agri merchant, bit disappointed in the last ones, they are made by iae and don't turn easily when joined together. I use mine a lot as fences and it is a nuisance if the don't open easily.
Anne

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 09:17:09 am »
Weve bought from highland supplies in Turriff. Phillips sell them too but are a bit more expensive. Delgarno chemicals at Inverurie will deliver but obviously charge and they will only come if he has a full load for your area.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 10:24:57 am »
I would be working on the basis that anyone selling hurdles out the back of a van has nicked them from somewhere or got them from someone that did, and wouldn't be buying anything...

We've bought the ones we have at farm roups (sales) locally.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 11:14:31 am »
I would be working on the basis that anyone selling hurdles out the back of a van has nicked them from somewhere or got them from someone that did, and wouldn't be buying anything...

We've bought the ones we have at farm roups (sales) locally.
Ditto >:( .  Hurdles and farm kit is always being nicked round here >:( >:( .  My neighbour lost all her brand new hurdles overnight - b*****ds :P

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 11:17:31 am »
I agree - anyone selling a variety of farming items and generators etc out of the back of a van smacks of nicked goods so definitely be wary of buying from such sources.

I have always found Countrywide stores to be a good bet when buying hurdles and they often have some good offers.  The hurdles are very good quality too.

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 10:28:39 pm »
I have discovered that no matter how many hurdles you have you could always do with just a few more  :thinking:   is it a conspiracy?

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 08:41:53 am »
Does anyone know of anything that sticks the bars back onto the uprights short of soldering/welding, was thinking of that no more nails stuff, if all the loose barred ones were mended we would have more usable ones!

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 09:13:18 am »
There is a chap who advertises in either the Scot Ads or the Press and Journal. I think he is over Turriff way. I think he buys them down south and then sells them on. They are new and pretty reasonably priced. Sorry I don't have the number to hand.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Tala Orchard

• Joined Nov 2012
  • North Cornwall
    • Tala Orchard
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 02:05:14 pm »
Weve bought from highland supplies in Turriff. Phillips sell them too but are a bit more expensive. Delgarno chemicals at Inverurie will deliver but obviously charge and they will only come if he has a full load for your area.

Can agree to a certain extent however we do have a firm in the SW called The Farmers Friend they ahve been in business for many years and they sell out of the back of a van nowadays mainly at markets however in days gone by the did come to the farm yard for regulars.

But would agree with just a white van man turing up out of the blue as being suspect goods.
Pigs are human tooo

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS