Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Air-dried hams from skinned pigs?  (Read 4121 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Air-dried hams from skinned pigs?
« on: October 15, 2013, 08:30:34 pm »
Looks like my pigs this year are again too big and they will need skinning... can I still hang a leg for air-drying as I would normally (first to be salted for about 2 weeks, then hung/dried in the garage over-winter)?

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Re: Air-dried hams from skinned pigs?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 09:28:08 pm »
Interesting problem.

Presumably, the salting period may not have to be so long as usually the skin "prevents" the salt going straight into the meat?  I would perhaps be tempted to add a "skin" like a muslin around it.  Don't see why it couldn't be done.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 03:29:16 pm »
Mmmmh... maybe we will find out..... :-\

FrostyM

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wicklow, Ireland
    • My Overcrowded Garden
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 06:22:44 pm »
I am trying my first air dried ham this year. I read a few different sets of instructions. A few mentioned covering the exposed end with lard to prevent it losing too much moisture. I wonder if you did something similar all over to prevent too much moisture escaping too quickly?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 08:05:56 pm »
I am trying my first air dried ham this year. I read a few different sets of instructions. A few mentioned covering the exposed end with lard to prevent it losing too much moisture. I wonder if you did something similar all over to prevent too much moisture escaping too quickly?

I have only done them from legs with the skin left on (but boned out), and after salting for about 18 days we just wrapped the leg in clean muslin squares (the ones you get for babies to clean them up) and hang up from the ceiling in the garage (usually left open during the day)... not sure how to proceed this year when pigs will be skinned....

FrostyM

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wicklow, Ireland
    • My Overcrowded Garden
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 08:35:32 pm »
Maybe put a layer of lard on and then put the muslin on top of it? The lard and muslin layer might act like a skin on the leg. I would guess the muslin would be more porous than the skin. It would think it should work once you come up with some way of keeping the moisture from escaping too quickly

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 11:48:42 am »
You need the lard on there to prevent the outer layer from drying and hence moisture from evaporating, and the muslin (we use a pillow case) simply because otherwise it'll slip out of your hands  :D

I agree that you'd probably not want to cure it for that long.

I would imagine it should work fine, plus you won't have to take off that hard skin in a few months' time  :)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 11:36:39 am »
Thanks, will try the lard... there should be enough looking at the boys.. :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS