Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mallards being bullys  (Read 3370 times)

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Mallards being bullys
« on: October 13, 2013, 09:41:50 pm »
Having  problems with mallards at the moment   We let the ducks out every morning and they usually go onto the river for a bit then just potter around but over the last week the mallard drake population has grown to 11,
They have suddenly started to gang up on our large white crested drake who is a bit of a wimp anyway.
They either chase him down stream and won't let him come back up or he ends up sitting under the overhang of the river bank and won't come out
They don't bother the call drake but he does chase them away from his wife
Any suggestions as I think it's just getting worse by the day In fact today I had to carry him back upstream to put him to bed
Graham

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Mallards being bullys
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 09:45:21 pm »
do mallards taste good?

what's the law on shooting them?

poor Cresty!!!

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 09:49:08 pm »
That thought has entered my head especially as one of them is probably the one that gave me a black eye !
Graham

THE HAPPY POULTRY FARMER

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 11:29:24 pm »
Mallard taste very good, they are also very dominant , put them in the freezer and save yourself a whole load of hassle,

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 08:25:14 am »
We had one that decided the chicken coop was his and for his use only. Tried releasing him all over the surrounding countryside but he kept coming back. Tasted lovely.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 08:29:26 am »
I think they are known for being bullies. I agree with the eat them camp!! Cherry sauce, mmmm :thumbsup:

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 09:06:03 am »
So what is the law on killing mallards ? at the moment they are keeping away from the river as its in full flood and we are having to keep our ducks in but I am sure once the river goes down they will be back out of the fields
Graham

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 11:45:36 am »
You can shoot them in season which for England Scotland and Wales is the same - Sept 1 to Jan 31.

ETA Mallard are listed among the species of duck which can be shot during this period.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 06:54:27 pm »
Thanks, when the river goes down and they come back down  ::)
Graham

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 11:15:20 am »
I know I started this thread a year ago but its that time of year again
The Mallards are back in force and eating us out of house and Home.
can you imagine how much feed 22 Mallards pinch in a day  :-\
Graham

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 12:09:55 pm »
Yes I can, I think they'd be in my freezer by now if it were me!  :innocent:

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 12:54:43 pm »
I'm another one that would shoot them and put them in the freezer. It's duck shooting season so fill your boots (or freezer)!

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 03:09:11 pm »
I have to agree with shooting them. The cost for the feed is justification alone. Any attempt to scare them away will frighten your ducks though. I'd use a silenced air rifle and pick them off with a head shot. I my experience Mallard tastes lovely. But I don't know about older ones, they may be a bit tough.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 06:58:25 pm »
I have to agree with shooting them. The cost for the feed is justification alone. Any attempt to scare them away will frighten your ducks though. I'd use a silenced air rifle and pick them off with a head shot. I my experience Mallard tastes lovely. But I don't know about older ones, they may be a bit tough.
There is 1 or 2 that are older Birds but most of them are actually this years birds. we picked a few off last year and will be picking a few off very soon.
Chickens are having to be fed inside and the ducks are hardly getting anything because the Mallards are taking it all. we are using 3 bags of wheat and a bag of layers a week  :o
Graham

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS