Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New cat  (Read 11954 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: New cat
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2013, 09:07:52 am »
That reminds me, I really should look out the pedigree paperwork for our cats one of these days  :innocent: .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2013, 05:16:01 pm »
She is beautiful. Sorry, don't think she looks at all like a Mick though. You'll have to come up with a better name.

I'm not going to show my daughter cause she is always talking about these. Can we have a piccie with you and puss cat or a dog and puss cat so that we can get an idea of how big she is.

Having just grappled with a stray cat that turned up here (into a cat carrier and to the vets for neutering) I'm not too sure I'd want to upset her ........ are they known for being of a gentle disposition????  :-\  ....  :fc:

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2013, 07:02:18 pm »
I don't get her till Monday and then there's the settling in process, but as soon as I can I'll get some photos up of scale, they are very gentle cats
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 07:04:54 pm by Alistair »

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2013, 08:53:33 pm »
we may change her name... Not sure yet

How about Mica? (Meeka?) it's near enough and a bit more feminine?

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2013, 10:57:16 pm »
We've thought down those lines, trying to maintain the ka sound, but honestly might as well start from scratch and call her something different, ruby is favourite at the moment, or Chloe, maybe Ophelia, or Enid

Want to run round shouting eeeeeeenid eeeeeeeenid, only cos mother in law (who hates cats) is called Enid

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2013, 09:36:57 am »
Want to run round shouting eeeeeeenid eeeeeeeenid, only cos mother in law (who hates cats) is called Enid
good enough reason :innocent:   

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2013, 02:58:28 pm »
Want to run round shouting eeeeeeenid eeeeeeeenid,
   :roflanim:

A friend of ours has a cat called "Puthy", for similar reasons  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2013, 10:02:52 pm »
Oh dear, now I've gone and done it.....

Getting this one as well, she's red too, both coming Monday, they're sisters

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2013, 04:09:13 am »
So jealous, they are just divine. Don't call any of 'em Enid, even to irritate your mum-in-law. Bloody awful name (sorry M.I.L.)
How about Ruby and Amber?

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2013, 09:11:39 am »
Oh, she is really beautiful. They are going to look fab together ... but .... do they hunt in packs????  ;D

So you have teeny weeny creepy crawlies .... but .... HUGE cats. Mmmmmm ..... strange that.

My daughter loves creepy crawlies. Told me with real delight that a spider had slept in bed with her the other night  :o  and was in tears the other day when she found a dead one on the floor. Now, I would never kill one but wouldn't want one in my bed  :o  or cry that one had popped its clogs. She also loves huge mogs and tells me lots of facts about them that she researches on the net. How strange.

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2013, 10:03:10 am »

So you have teeny weeny creepy crawlies .... but .... HUGE cats. Mmmmmm ..... strange that.

Not sure that you class 6" to 8" body length scorpions and 6" body length spiders teeny tiny? And my smallest snake is 5ft, the biggest 14ft long, go and get your daughter a Mexican red knee tarantula, they're only around £20, a heat mat, about £5, some substrate and bark, another £5 and a plastic terrarium, about £15, it'll live about 3 to 5 yrs, and the bite is like a wasp sting, unlike my gootie ornamental which put you in hospital, they just eat crickets which only cost around 2 quid for a box

They won't be going out for several months, I don't think they've ever been allowed out, they where house cats

We've got a dwarf, sorry normal cat too

We are thinking of ruby and Ophelia but we are going to call them both Enid when my MIL comes round for a laugh

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2013, 10:12:56 am »
Well, some of those are relatively teeny weeny.  ;D

Daughter has kept Indian Stick Insects since she was 2. She would hold them so gently and kiss them  :o . Collect all the little eggs for hatching and we would have mannnnnnnyyyyy tanks of them.  ::)  She would love the spider thing but probably love the crickets equally and not want to feed them to spider!!!!!

She needs something that is veggie.

I do have trouble with the concept of keeping something that could put you in hospital. Or do they only bite very rarely ..... as in I suppose there is always a chance your dog could bite you????:-\

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2013, 10:43:31 am »
They're purely ornamental, we never handle them, we coax them about with a paintbrush if we need to move them, far to dangerous

She can sell surplus stick insects, we've got Giant spineys, and sell them to the local pet shops for between £2.50 and £3 each, just wait till they're about 3" long, they don't survive the stress well if they're much smaller, my daughter started with a male and a female when she was about 12 and now she probably makes about £500 a year from them, there's a huge market for them because they're so easy to keep, it great because they become little business women, I know rosemary gets on average 50p more per insect than we do because she needs the money being a student.

Other things that are good that have marketable value are Malaysian hissing cockroaches, they're veggie and just eat kitchen peelings, as are giant millipedes but I've never managed to breed them, can't stop the roaches breeding, but it's ok I feed the surplus to the spiders

We've just ordered some praying mantis babies, going to give them a go

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2013, 10:50:38 am »
They look stunning, I so want a cat again, we had cats for years until the last cat we had died before we moved and running the B&B we decided not to have on, I fancied a Rag doll and have it as a house cat,  this and the next house we are buying (looking not so good now) are big enough for a cat to have plenty of room, I  love a big fluffy cat so must look up their temperament.......so enviouse of your cats but not the other stuff.....even a photo of a snake makes me shudder. .but I too love spiders, I see them as very intelligent little things sent buy the fairies :innocent:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2013, 11:07:02 am »
Just lovely, did any of you see on the Daily Mail on-line the pictures of the Norwegian Forest cat chasing the fox. pretty amazing !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS