Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is this alder? Or hazel? Or.. ???  (Read 4337 times)

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
Is this alder? Or hazel? Or.. ???
« on: October 03, 2013, 05:01:43 pm »
Hi, I'm looking for decent photos of an alder and I'm not sure if either of these pictures is, or if they're even the same tree, they're on my phone next to each other so were the same day..  :dunce:

Hazel and alder seem a little similar in illustrations but one book said alder has a flatter top so I was thinking this might be flattish..  ???
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Is this alder? Or hazel? Or.. ???
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 09:27:00 pm »
The pics are of different trees, I think.  The second pic has rounded leaves, while in the first pic the leaves have a swoopy point to them.

I usually differentiate by the fruits.

I found this pic which I'd say is alder; the leaves do look like your second pic, I'd say.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 03:27:40 pm »
First pic is Hazel.  The pronounced "drip tip" is the givaway on a roundish, double toothed leaf.
Second pic is a little less clear.  It might also be Hazel.

Alder does indeed have leaves that look like the ends have been cut off

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 03:37:16 pm »
I have a Hazel tree but dare not comment before BUT the top picture does look like my tree....no nuts as yet but mine did say Hazel on the lable

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 01:41:20 pm »
They both look like Hazel to me , Alder has a longer stalk to the leaf and a smooth skin , Hazel has a short stalk and dimpled skin with drip tip and is usually a lighter colour than Alder

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS