Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stinker  (Read 3411 times)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Stinker
« on: October 01, 2013, 08:05:08 pm »
our kitten is a real stinker so we are experimenting with different cat litters to see if that helps.
this week it is woodchip cat litter and my daughter made me laugh as she thought it was pig food...lol... actually pig food would have been cheaper  :roflanim: :roflanim:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Stinker
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 10:24:23 pm »
 :innocent:  Smelly cat, smelly cat  :innocent:
 :innocent: What are they feeding you...?  :innocent:

I'd be teaching her to go bury it outside asap, I think! :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 10:27:10 pm »
Ummm, shygirl, I bet your dog likes the treats in the cat litter tray, our dog used to, not got a cat until we move!!! I used to use that white chalky stone stuff that actualy smelt OK but in an enclosed box due to dogs!!

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 07:09:52 am »
Cats development toilet substrate preferences at a very young age. Cat litter change won't help the smell  but may cause the kitten not to use it as they like to have one type. What is the kitten eating? Try and find a low residue dry food. I find wet makes them more smelly.
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 09:49:13 am »
he is on go-cat kitten kibble (we cant feed whiskas as it makes my other cat vomit) and felix pouches.

the urine is strong smelling so we need to empty the tray completely twice a week. his poops are horrendous and stink to high heaven. you cant stay in the room unless its picked up straight away its that bad.  :innocent:
our other cats stay outside but being a kitten we want him inside for at least the first winter, so a solution to the stench (odour doesnt quite give it justice) would be helpful.

how one litle kitten can smell so bad is beyond me   :roflanim:

yes, my pup is enjoying his new snacks, yuck.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 10:38:26 am »
I had a foster child who also loved the cat litter  :innocent: , she would make snow balls and throw them out of the window...strange :thinking:  Fullers earth is the product I was thinking of.....that must be cheap. WOnder why  your kitten has such smelly poos, maybe he is not drinking enough.....Our dogs poo usualy smells worse when they have more protein than necessary but I know cats need high protein food....

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 10:54:39 am »
Try changing his food - his poos shouldn't smell that bad!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 11:19:01 am »
Is kitten drinking enough water ?

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 11:27:30 am »
he has water and i do see him drink at least one little bowl a day..
he did have a touch of diahorrea last week but thats gone now. in other ways hes healthy, fit and active.
been vaccinated and wormed etc.

in hindsight, having a litter tray in the house when selling a house is a big no-no but hes brought so much joy. hes a bengal cross and a huge character  :love:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 11:31:27 am »
We feed Burns dry cat food and smell isn't much of a problem. They do get wet Whiskas as well, but the big cats don't use the litter tray and Felix, who does, eats mainly dry food.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 09:14:41 pm »
Our little chap is stinky as well, luckily he's old enough to be outside when he wants, the tray is in the conservatory and I open the end windows to let air blow right thru. I did wonder if it was the tinned food, he gets 3 small feeds of that a day then dry feed for afters and snacking on.
For the tray we use some absorbant granules OH uses, once dried out 'things' don't smell so bad, I reckon the tray should have some sort of grid so the pee goes straight thru to a container underneath, save throwing so much granules away.
when we first got him we had his brother as well, one of them went in a spare bedroom, as everthing is stacked in there while we renovate downstairs it took me till 3am to find it and clean it up, doors are now kept shut!

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 09:35:00 pm »
We had a cat that would put his legs in the tray and pee outside it and then kick or scratch all the litter out the tray......I even thought about sand but only in an enclosed area, some people put poop holes in tall cupboards or pantry doors, that way the smell is contained!

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 09:44:23 pm »
We had this problem with our kitten, apparently it's the kitten food that makes them stinky because it's so rich. Try 'cats best' litter, it was recommended by a friend who runs a cattery, it reduces the smell a lot and the wee's turn to jelly so really easy to scoop out. Not cheap but lasts for ages due to the jelly thing.
It does get better, honest!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS