Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My mum's cat  (Read 7080 times)

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
My mum's cat
« on: August 26, 2009, 10:36:38 pm »
Just wanted to share some news about my mum's cat.
I phoned mum on Sunday and she was really sad because her old cat - really old - 22 years old had been out in the garden for 2 days and was basically comatose. Mum was upset and worried and said that she thought that she would need to take Kitty to the vet the next day to be put down. This would be a difficult journey with my 70 year old mum lugging the cat in a basket on the train to the next town. I suggested that she gave the cat a little high protein milk and let her drift off in the garden to save them both some stress. Mum spent the next couple of days designing a wee head stone for her and waiting for the inevitable. Then this morning Kitty walked into the kitchen, back to her old self asking for breakfast. She ate went out for a bit and came back asking for lunch!!!!!!
You can't keep a good cat down. Mum is sounding much happier and relieved for now. Amazing ay?
kirsty

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: My mum's cat
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 10:41:34 pm »
Just wanted to share some news about my mum's cat.
I phoned mum on Sunday and she was really sad because her old cat - really old - 22 years old had been out in the garden for 2 days and was basically comatose. Mum was upset and worried and said that she thought that she would need to take Kitty to the vet the next day to be put down. This would be a difficult journey with my 70 year old mum lugging the cat in a basket on the train to the next town. I suggested that she gave the cat a little high protein milk and let her drift off in the garden to save them both some stress. Mum spent the next couple of days designing a wee head stone for her and waiting for the inevitable. Then this morning Kitty walked into the kitchen, back to her old self asking for breakfast. She ate went out for a bit and came back asking for lunch!!!!!!
You can't keep a good cat down. Mum is sounding much happier and relieved for now. Amazing ay?

How weird is that Kirsty? I guess the old bissu had maybe eaten a dodgy mouse and she was under the weather? Good job the trip to the vet never happened...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 10:42:36 pm »
That's cats for you!  My last cat was almost 20 when we went on a family holiday to Disney.  As it was summer I put her bed in the shed and my neighbours came in every day to feed her and the rabbits and poultry.  The night I got home I took her inside, went to pick up the dogs, settled everyone down - Sophie had jumped up on the worktop for her tea as usual and gone to bed in the utility room as usual across the back door - just like a guard dog would.  I came through next morning to find her laying behind the back door just as she always did to sleep - only she was stone cold dead.  She had waited for me to come home.  I've heard of cats doing that before.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 10:44:39 pm »
and ofcourse it is so much easier when any pet manages to just go to sleep without you having to do that dreaded journey to the vet.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 10:47:46 pm »
It is indeed but rarely happens in my experience. :'(
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 10:53:28 pm »
I think that part of the reason why my mum was going to the vet was because she thought that the neighbours would think that it was the right thing to do.
She has a narrow garden so they observe animal antics over the fence.
I'm sure that cats in particular want the dignity to be left in peace if they are not in pain.
I hadn't realised cats could live so Long. I though 15 was old.
kirsty

acorn zwartbles

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 10:44:22 pm »
Hi, That kind of strange behaviour sometimes indicates liver failure, when the toxins start to build up they go a bit addled, especially in older cats. one of my customers cats took to sleeping in the garden in the bird bath, turned out she was very toxic and therefore confused.

Laura

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 10:51:38 pm »
Yes - at 22 that seems very likely.
She is fine now, amazingly.
However my friends 3 year old cat died last week with similar symptoms for the last 12 hours. The vet said that it was kidney failure and that the most common reason for that in a young cat, is people emptying out their car radiators with traces of anti freeze in it and the cat drinking it. Seemingly, anti freeze water is quite attractive to cats.

:(
kirsty

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 12:01:18 pm »
Good job your mum did not take her cat to the vet, delighted that she still has her pet. My old boy is coming up for 19 and I have to say is a bit on the senile side of life. He forgets he has been fed, sleeps out in the rain so I am often up during the night to put him in his bed in the barn. He will come into the house during the day but never at night. I expect that was when he was used to hunting. He does the loo in the oddest of places but has a shine to his coat, still walks round the fields to check things out. Our young cat does all the hunting now and brings things back for Paws like baby rabbits which he used to live on in the summer when he was younger. She washes him and if I can;t find him goes looking till he appears. Every day I expect to find him gone in his sleep but so far he is keen to keep going.  :cat:

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 10:37:55 pm »
Pleased to hear the old cat has perked up!!  Two of my cats lived until well in their teens, and spent a lot of their last years sleeping.  I thought more than once that they were dead, when they weren't!!!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 09:04:05 pm »
Cant keep a good cat down. Thats a lovely tale (!) I hope Kitty stays strong and goes peacefully. Our oldest cat came home and lay behind the car, as if he couldnt quite make it to the door, and cried until we went out him. Then drifted off. He was 16.  A few years ago, we saw a stray kitten the absolute spitting image of him (white with black marks like he'd been picked up by oily fingers, and a solid black tail like an afterthought stuck on!) so needless to say, he came home with us and was named in his honour.
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 10:32:58 pm »
I like that description of your kitten, little blue!!  I have three kittens at the moment that fit that description, so shall tell pontential new owners they have oily finger marks on their white coats, and black tail stuck on as an afterthought!!! :D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 07:52:38 pm »
Must admit it is really my late mother-in-laws description. The 'old' cat was £1 from a local fete, where my (now) husband was playing in the brass band, he was given a pound for an icecream and came back with the tiny kitten!  He had to have the dogs collar and lead on (cat, not J!) Used to travel quite happily to Skegness every weekend, loose in the car, startling the drivers behind us!!
I darent tell him you've got black and white kittens, he'll go mad for one!
Little Blue

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 11:02:20 pm »
black and white cats are lovely. My daughters cat , patch is the sweetest softest cat I've ever lived with, except with mice and then she's the black and white mice killer from hell. All round a very good cat!!!!!!!!!! :cat:
kirsty

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS