Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ground Source Heat Pump  (Read 8866 times)

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
Ground Source Heat Pump
« on: September 30, 2013, 08:44:53 am »
Anyone have experience of this technology?

We're looking at options for heating & hot water - currently we use oil but are wondering about GSHP instead.

How expensive was the installation? - we could keep that down as we have a digger and do the trenches ourselves.

If you have one - how warm is your house, how expensive is it to run compared to 'traditional' energy? We're in Moray, fairly mild climate, though Jan-Apr can be very cold, the last couple of years we had snow in May and usually have snow in April. I like the house to be toasty and wonder if a GSHP would be suitable.

Sue

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Re: Ground Source Heat Pump
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 09:00:09 am »
I don't have proper answers, but looked into this a few months ago before ending up with a new oil heater.
It was comming in around £12,000-£14,000, with us doing all the digging.
We only have a few radiators in the house and since the water doesn't get hot, was told I'd need to look at replacing some so that I had a bigger surface area.

I also read that its not that hard to put in yourself and started pricing up the componant parts from suppliers on ebay, and it was comming out very much cheaper, but still thousands, and even though I loved the idea of harvesting all that heat, didn't have the time left before winter or really cash flow to do it.

I'm sure others will be more helpful.  :)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 09:43:36 am »
We have a GSHP. We put it in when we renovated the house in 2010. I'm sure Dan will come on with more information.

The system doesn't heat the water to a high temperature so the house needs to be very well insulated; the heating is on all the time so you need to keep it in. We have underfloor heating, which is wonderful - I love it - but it was realtively easy to do that because the house was gutted anyway. We have radiators upstairs.

Our hot water is off it and is great. No idea how it works - must be some kind of heat boost because the water's hot not warm.

We have a wood burner in the living room for really cold days and for the warm glow.

Dan will know how much it cost and have a rough idea how much it costs to run - obviously that's just electric to run the pump and we have PV cells as well.

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 11:53:19 am »
House needs to be super insulated and either underfloor heating or oversized radiators. You need enough ground area for the coils. Total installation costs possibly in the region of 12K. It may get some subsidy under the Renewable Heat Incentive.

We looked at it during our refurbishment but discounted because of the high capital cost

i.e. if we use a few hundred extra litres of oil a year (over and above the cost of running the heat pump) it still would not make up the difference in capital costs over our remaining lifetime! The possible RHI may now make that calculation different.

Furthermore when I contacted Worcester Bosch to and got them to asses suitability they said a heat pump would be 'borderline' at best due to the large volume of air in our barn's vaulted ceiling (despite the insulation).

Lots of cowboys out there so do your research!

I found these people (as well as Worcester Bosch) talked some sense

http://www.kensaengineering.com/

but have no actual knowledge of them
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 11:56:03 am by henchard »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 11:56:43 am »
I'm sure we got a grant to install it and an interest free loan for the PV cells. But a lot changes in 3 years  :)

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 01:05:11 pm »
Hi, we have one in a new build, super insulated house with underfloor heating. It has been a nightmare, the last 2 winters electic bills have been £3000 from oct - may, each year. The unit itself cost £8000, then instulation on top. Ours is made by a company called grants, and they do not employ any engineers in Scotland so you have to wait for an engineer to be able to travel up, we have needed an engineer on at least 8 occasions and in the end had to get a new unit, so haven't  tried it this year. We need to top up water temp with emmersion. This has been our biggest regret and my oh wants it changed to oil.

My advice is to think long and hard and if your passing through angus, you are welcome to pop in and see it.
Mojo
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 03:22:41 pm »
You're also welcome to come and see ours which has worked absolutely fine since about Day 7 (there wasa teething problem). Ours was installed by a Dundee company.

Our energy bill is £1800 a year - that's all our heating, lighting and power for two houses and the outbuildings but that is linked to the PV as well.

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 04:46:07 pm »
Thanks for the offer - at the mo we're still doing the numbers - I think everything will become clearer once we've had a EPC for the house - that should give us the heat demand and give us a better idea of costs/incentives.

We spend about £850 on oil and £680 on elec  - no PV yet but hopefully we will get that part sorted soon - just in time for the winter!

Been ploughing through the latest gov info on the RHI - doesn't exactly make easy reading - still that's gov docs for you.

Really not sure about GSHP - the house has wooden floors, our lounge is upstairs in the open-plan loft space & the wood burning stove is downstairs in the dining/day room. About the only thing going for it is we have loads of sunny field just over the garden fence - and of course the chance to get away from using oil which has doubled in price in the 7 years we've been here.

Sue

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 05:36:29 pm »
Thanks for the offer - at the mo we're still doing the numbers - I think everything will become clearer once we've had a EPC for the house - that should give us the heat demand and give us a better idea of costs/incentives.

We spend about £850 on oil and £680 on elec  - no PV yet but hopefully we will get that part sorted soon - just in time for the winter!

Been ploughing through the latest gov info on the RHI - doesn't exactly make easy reading - still that's gov docs for you.

Really not sure about GSHP - the house has wooden floors, our lounge is upstairs in the open-plan loft space & the wood burning stove is downstairs in the dining/day room. About the only thing going for it is we have loads of sunny field just over the garden fence - and of course the chance to get away from using oil which has doubled in price in the 7 years we've been here.

Sue

I would in your position go for the PV which would be the easiest and biggest quick win and then see if anything further stacked up, it may be that gives you such a big benefit that anything else is marginal.

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 05:38:00 pm »
We've got a Nibe Fighter 1245 8kw pump. Total cost including the ground loop was £9175 three years ago.

As Rosemary says it works brilliantly for us, in our situation. The house was taken back to the stone anyway so is very well insulated. We have the heating on and hot water charging during the day, when the PV is generating, and off at night, which keeps the electricity costs down.

HTH. Energy Saving Trust were a great help especially for accessing grants, if you haven't already had them out it might be worthwhile.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 06:23:05 am »
 :o  :o.   :o

Apologies, apologies, apologies!

My unit is air source not ground source so forget my tuppence worth!
Mojo
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

danielh

• Joined Oct 2013
  • KY15 5QJ
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 12:20:34 am »
Ground source heat is not a cheap option to install as people have said although there are grants available.

You can either install in coils in the garden approx 0.50-1.00m below the ground or get boreholes drilled (preferably two one to draw from and one to return to cost approx 4-5K for the boreholes)

Watch out if boreholes are done and the depth to groundwater is beyond 40m as will be costly to draw the water via a pump which increases the running costs.

If staying in the property for long term will be cost effective generally but may get get the investment back if moving on in less than 5-8 years for example

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 10:05:13 am »
There is a barn in France I was half considering .  It is about 200m floor area and one first floor bedroom space.  The wall wold be stripped back to stone buy unplastered and I could put in some good roof insulatione I think.

The garden area is not huge, but it is not far from the eas so presumale some wind power possibility and obviously some solar possibilites - I thin its meant to be one of the sunnier areas of France

If it was somewhere to live in the autumn spring (might go further south in coldest months) and let off in the holiday season I was thinking maybe underfloor heating with heat pump would do swimming pool in summer and house hot water, then maybe just heating in winter.

Am I possibly on the right lines with this idea 
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Isla

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2016, 02:26:30 pm »
Yay our LPG being replaced by GSHP next month  :excited:.  Ground floor radiators will be replaced by underfloor heating.  Our first floor comprises of two bedrooms.  We're not getting underfloor heating on first floor so need to replace existing radiators will massive radiators.  Anyone here got a recommendation of the most suitable brand/type of radiators?  A quick Google has resulted in radiator websites rather than a buyer's guide.  Also, who knew radiators could be so pretty?

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2016, 06:15:57 pm »
Have you thought about other options?
We have a biomass boiler (burns logs) which is great.  You need a bit of space for the boiler and a big (2000L) tank but we only burn around 3tons of logs a year - that's all our heating and hot water for about £75 a year (plus some petrol for the chainsaw and a day or two fetching and cutting logs).  Admittedly we have a well insulated modern house.

You would be welcome to have a look if you're interested.  By the sounds of it you could do a road trip round Scotland visiting TASers heating systems!

Tim

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS