Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Next year.....  (Read 3986 times)

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
  • www.escapedtothecountry.com
    • Escaped to the Country
Next year.....
« on: September 20, 2013, 11:17:33 pm »
It doesn't look like much now, but the soil took some moving. Anyway, my wife now has what she wants..., a bed for us to grow lots if herbs in! Actually I shouldn't moan as I know we will really enjoy it!

May try to grow from seed... But thing buying small plants may be more successful for some things. Any lessons learned from others?

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
Re: Next year.....
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 02:20:38 pm »
Herbs that I grow

From seed to go outside: Flat leaf & Curly Parsley; Coriander, Thyme, Marjoram, Chives (Garlic & Ordinary). Sometimes sow borage, dill and rocket. All these will grow outside up here (Moray, NE Scotland) in a sheltered south facing spot.

From Seed to stay indoors: Basil, Basil, Basil and more Basil and coriander...

I think tarragon is best bought as a plant - the best type of tarragon is French. The stuff in seed packs is Russian - not as good.

Never tried to grow Rosemary, Mint or Sage from seed. Mint will go 'mad' if not kept in check - our neighbour grows his in an old rubber track from a mini digger.

Another thing is location - we have the sheltered bed by the back door - handy for nipping out to cut a few herbs while cooking. Also, handy for getting the perennials which continue to grow through the winter - I don't want to tramp through the snow to get a handful of parsley or a bit of rosemary for the lamb.

Have fun
Sue

Min

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 12:52:31 pm »
I have grown parsley, chives, basil, oregano, rosemary and thyme from seed fine. Never tried to grow sage from seed but the young plant I bought has grown well. I can't remember if the mint came from seed or not. I have tried several times to grow coriander from seed but it always bolts.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 01:42:14 pm »
marshalls do nice plugs by mail order.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 10:33:08 pm »
Supermarket herbs often do well if you pot them on or plant them out into decent soil/compost. I reckon with herbs you're best off getting a plant for perennials - otherwise you'll end up growing loads of them but only have space for one anyway. If you just want one plant, it's not a lot more than a packet of seeds. So rosemary, chives, sage, mint, oregano, tarragon etc. I'd buy a plant (and, yes, mint needs to be contained).

Annuals are worth seeding each year although I'm collecting my own flat leaf parsley seed now to try and use next year. My neighbours have dill and coriander going crazy through their veg plot so they've given me some in pots which I'm hoping will self seed in the same way theirs has - I've never had any joy with either before.

H

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 12:10:44 am »
I hate coriander  :o the smell gives me a headache and I can't eat food with it in.

For smallish herbs such as thyme, chives, marjoram and mint, I find it best to grow in modules or a few small pots.  I sprinkle several seeds - say half a dozen - onto the surface, well spaced, and let them grow - they are minute when they first germinate but soon grow big.  Then I pot on the whole rootball together so the new clump will in fact be several small plants together.  This is the way the small herb plants bought from catalogues etc are grown, so it looks as if you are getting more for your money.  The seeds are so fine that planting them singly is almost impossible.  Even chives I plant this way and they develop a clump very quickly, then can be divided into a few bulbs after a couple of years.
I don't grow basil as it fills the house with the smell of cat pee, then adds the same smell to the food  :D  but you can grow that in the same way too.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 08:59:41 am »
I don't grow basil as it fills the house with the smell of cat pee, then adds the same smell to the food  :D  but you can grow that in the same way too.

;D My OH says this but I can never smell it and love the taste :sunshine:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS