Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sexing ducks  (Read 3351 times)

Mary B

• Joined Mar 2009
sexing ducks
« on: August 08, 2009, 11:00:16 pm »
Can anyone help with this one?  We have 3 Cayuga ducks, and 6 aylesbury ducklings.  The Cayugas are now about 9 weeks old and the aylesburys are 4 weeks.

How and when can I tell what sex they are?  One or two of the aylesburys are definitely quacking which I heard was a sign, but the cayugas are very quiet.

Any ideas??

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: sexing ducks
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 11:19:29 pm »
Females quack, drakes just squeak.  Some breeds are later in speaking than others.  I think it's a case of patiently waiting, I'm afraid.  ;D Sometimes the male tail feathers curl at the end, so you can sometimes take an educated guess from that, but then sometimes they don't curl, soooo........................  you pays your money and you takes your chance ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 09:56:32 am »
Hold the duckling on its back with its head pointing down your wrist in your right hand and its legs up in the air pointing away from you.
Expose the vent by holding the tail up with your left hand, and pressing in and up between the duck's legs with the thumb and forefinger of your right hand. With very slow, gentle pressure, open the vent.
Observe the genitalia through the opening. Female ducklings have a cone-shaped organ that is more easily observable. Males have a smaller, longer, pointed organ inside a larger cloaca. The male's organ may not even appear for several seconds after the vent is opened.Do not attempt to put your fingers into the vent opening; this can cause serious injury to the duckling. Use only gentle pressure applied to the edge of the opening......Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

Mary B

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 10:58:38 pm »
Thanks for the advice - I'm going to listen out and look at tail feathers before trying the vent option - maybe I'll threaten them with that if they don't start quacking or squeaking soon!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS