Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Black tomatoes  (Read 4177 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Black tomatoes
« on: September 12, 2013, 10:00:29 pm »
A neighbour offered me some spare tomato plants for the greenhouse and even planted them for me. What he didn't tell me, until much later, was that they are a black variety. Ok not totally black but dark red with black at the tops. They have a good taste but the colour is very off-putting. Has anyone else tried them?

I once tried white tomatoes and they weren't nice at all, as well as looking wrong.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Black tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 10:49:29 pm »
Never even heard of them but I quite like the yellow tomatoes and have had all sorts of odd coloured carrots over the years which are fun. I've got All Gold Raspberries and they're a bit freaky - they taste great but I can't get past the 'raspberries are red' thing that easily.

H

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 11:51:31 pm »
I have grown Black Brandywine for the first time this year - normally Red Brandywine is one of the varieties I regularly grow- and now I am eating both the flavour of the black variety is slightly better (in my opinion).

As you say they are not totally black more of a purplish red
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 06:55:12 am »
I'm growing a Black Russian tomato  8) . It's a beef tomato variety and  the strongest plant I have in the tunnel. He has lots of fruit on him. the first one will be ripe by the end of the weekend :excited: . I can't wait to try it  :yum: .

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 10:57:07 am »
I have mini purple ones - don't know what they are called as they were unlabeled from a garden centre at end of selling season.  Boy are they sweet and delicious.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 12:43:20 pm »
I'd love to try those! How do they taste?  :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 12:59:37 pm »
I can't describe it - different from ordinary tomatoes - very sweet.  Wish I knew what it was called.  Still have a few green ones on the bush so if we get that coffee time going with Ellie i may have some to take with me.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 01:07:59 pm »
or you could keep a ripe one and steal its seeds before you eat it. I'd just try growing it from that  :thinking: :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 01:28:00 pm »
What do I need to do with the seeds though - dry them out?  How do I store them?

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 01:31:07 pm »
just leave them to dry out, don't wash them  :thumbsup: Thanks! :&>

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 02:32:12 pm »
http://www.realseeds.co.uk/tomatoes_bush.html

i
If you scroll down to the bottom of the page you will see specific details about saving tomato seeds which I have followed in the past with good success  :thumbsup:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 11:07:07 pm »
Mine are definitely sweeter (and big) but I find myself explaining them to people that I feed,

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS