Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which variety of plum?  (Read 4328 times)

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
Which variety of plum?
« on: September 10, 2013, 09:20:02 pm »
Does anyone know which variety of plum this is?  They tend to be a little more yellowy pink than this when ripe but these were harvested a little early from a branch that broke off under the strain of so much fruit.  They are deliciously soft and sweet when ripe.  :thumbsup: 
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Which variety of plum?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 01:02:12 am »
Are they not Victoria plums? Maybe a tad more yellow and less red than normal but look like it to me. But then I'm no plum expert.

You could try going through all the varieties on here:

http://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/stock.aspx?fruittype=2

because they have a photo of each variety with the description. I started going through them but got nothing like yours except Victoria - and then got bored after a few!

H

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 01:49:53 am »
I think they are Victorias too.

I tried to grow Victoria plums here when we first moved in, donkey's years ago.  The trees kept dying and even when they survived they had no fruit.  We planted other types of plum and damsons, golden gages and mirabelles, all of which have grown fine.  The golden gages do particularly well, so I bought a second tree.  This year it had its first crop - which have turned out to be Victoria plums  :o 8) .  The little tree is dripping with them - or it was but we've picked them all now and eaten most of them fresh.  I suppose I was sent the wrong tree, but it's amazing that it grew when I didn't know what it was, whereas all the ones I tried before, which I nurtured so carefully, were a total failure  ::)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 07:33:57 am »
That looks like a lot of plums, I've only got about 20 off my two trees  :( . After seeing your photo I now know what variety I've got  :thumbsup:  thank you.

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 07:59:41 am »
I agree I think they are Victorias - just harvested ours - delicious but small crop

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 08:44:21 am »
Thanks guys, I thought a different plum tree in the orchard was the Victoria (according to previous owner) but it turns out that one is probably a Marjorie (dark skinned large very sweet plums).  'Jamming' furiously at the moment!  Also have a greengage/golden gage tree I think but not quite sure if they are round enough for greengage.  Planning to pick tomorrow so will post a pic for ID.  In fruit catalogues greengages look rounder.  Have got at least 10 damson trees which are laden this year so if anyone wants any come and help yourselves (near York)  We just can't eat enough jam!
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 02:52:19 pm »
Damson gin  :P . My mum bought me a damson tree for my birthday last year 'because every orchard should have one'. No fruit yet but she's going to give me some from her tree to make the gin with. After making the gin, you can also use the fruit for icecream. Won't use your 10 trees worth though!

H

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 09:16:20 am »
I've two Victorias and just cropped them for the fruit market, leaving a fair few for myself to pick as I pass by obviously!  I've enough chutney and jam left from 2011 to keep me going despite the lack of fruit in 2012 so I thought a cash crop would be better for me this time.

I was given 2 damson trees and gave one to my neighbour.  Mine took off vertically and I took loppers to it this summer to bring the fruit back in reach so it's sulking and I've virtually no fruit but at least next year I can pick what there is with any luck.  My neighbour has left his intact, it's a wee bit smaller but he's taller and has long arm pickers and ladders he can use, but he offered me his damsons for damson gin in return for a bottle - we may get one bottle between us  ::)

Once the silverleaf tree is taken out, I have to take off a branch of the one remaining plum as it cropped so heavily this year the (sizeable) branch cracked along the top  :o   I hope it will flourish on 2/3 of it's big branches but I'm terrified the crack or the saw cut might infect the last plum  :'( and I can't decide whether to try packing the crack with something to try and keep it dry til May for pruning..  :-\
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 09:35:19 am »
you can flood the crack/seal it with wax quite effectively!!!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 11:53:04 am »
you can flood the crack/seal it with wax quite effectively!!!

Good tip  :thumbsup:

Make sure also that you sterilise the saw between trees, or if you are removing parts of a tree, then between cuts.   I have used meths or spirit and a toothbrush  :D

It's a good idea with heavily laden plums, which are a bit brittle, to support heavily laden branches with a forked pole (padded at the crutch) until the crop is picked.

I tried one year padding where the tree ties went with sheeps wool - big mistake as it held the moisture and encouraged rot  :(
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 12:10:34 pm »
Lots of folks forget the importance of sterilising the saw/secateurs between cuts.  I do the same as we do for sheep foot shears - have a bucket with diluted iodine and just put them in between turns.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS