Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wet bottom. Not stike; what could it be?  (Read 1916 times)

GoWest

• Joined Feb 2012
Wet bottom. Not stike; what could it be?
« on: September 04, 2013, 11:10:21 pm »
Noticed this evening that a ewe had a wet bottom; her tail looked wringing wet all the way around and either side of anus. There was a midge doing a merry dance around her backside. There was also a little bit of yellowish 'mucus' on the wool below the vulva.
I had immediately suspected strike. Sheep were treated with Click in July.
The ewe was with the rest of the flock, did not seem poorly, accepted a fuss and continued to eat grass. Tail not swishing, skin not flinching.
After some wrestling to the ground, I could not find any infection around the area of dampness. Did not see any eggs of secondary strike. I treated the area with crovect for good measure just in case. The light was starting to go so will observe tomorrow.
Any suggestions on why the area was so wet? It could not have been the ewe's own urine did it as the damp went all around the tails and a bit above; unless she wee'd sitting on her bottom.
I did wonder whether someone wee'd on her? Has this ever happen to one of your sheep?

Cheers for any thoughts

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Wet bottom. Not stike; what could it be?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 05:09:16 pm »
Very occasionally a ewe lamb's plumbing will be wrongly formed and affect the way she pees.  Have you tried following her around for a bit and seeing what she does?  If it is this I'd advise culling as that area will always be a fly magnet, pour on or no pour on.  Oh, and she'll stink.

GoWest

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Wet bottom. Not stike; what could it be?
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 10:52:34 pm »
Thanks for reply.
Usually  she pees very straight
Wet bottom was a one-off.
Today she looked as dry as a bone.
Either 'cured' or another sheep did wee on her or she wee'd on something that reflected it back is the only reasonable explanation i can think of. :idea:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS