Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: . Loom any good ?  (Read 3408 times)

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
. Loom any good ?
« on: August 26, 2013, 06:00:08 pm »
No nearer to being able to shift the big loom , so have decided to make one for now .
So i need to know if the loom i am thinking of making will actually be practical for what i want to do ?
I want to weave my own linen/wool into a few different weights .
  The lightest being for shirt type material (linen).
 The next weight for trousers/jeans (linen and hemp) .
 Then waxed cotton coat weight .
 And finally for wool harris tweed type weight material .
The plan of the the loom is on :  www.craftdesigns.co.uk/weaving.html
plan number 1105  , 42" floor loom .
It is a 6 pedal , 4 shaft with wire/string heddles .
Also , would the warping mill , plan number 1103 , be the one to get also .
I don't know if the above can even be answered just going on a drawing of the loom , but a general , "it should do it" or  "forget it !" will do really . Cheers Russ

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: . Loom any good ?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 06:12:25 pm »
It should certainly do it.
And a warping mill is a good thing to have, you can manage with a warping board but a mill makes long warps much easier.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 06:22:37 pm »
I'm new to weaving so don't take my word for it but it looks fit for purpose to me  :thumbsup:
As for the warping mill, it depends on how much you want to make one. If you don't mind walking up and down you can do your warp around more or less anything placed the correct distance apart. So long as you have something to provide the cross then you would be fine.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 06:48:41 pm »
Thanks JK , Sally , there won't be much room to walk about though unless it is outside . But as you know only too well Sally , here in Wales we don't get many dry days , pre washed and pre shrunk maybe though lol .
I saw some linen for sale on ebay , 500g for £12.99 , they stated that it was some 2,985 yds . Not sure how that relates to final weight of material , is there a way to calculate ?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 10:58:40 pm »
Looks good to me, Russ.

You can calculate the final weight of the material but not terribly accurately. There must be a method but it's probably very technical. What I do is wind the yarn round a ruler and judge by eye how many threads per inch you need for your weft, assuming you are doing a plain weave (tabby) where the weft threads will be the same distance apart as the warp. That decides how many warp threads you need in total (number per inch x width). Work out the length your warp is going to be and add between half a yard and a yard for wastage (the longer the warp and the more pieces you are having, the more allowance for wastage). Multiply that by the number of warp threads and you can calculate the total length of your warp. From that you can see how many cones you will need for the warp and double it to get the weft. Then you will have a rough idea of how much the finished cloth with weigh. Don't forget to allow for some shrinkage when you full the finished cloth.

HTH.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 04:58:40 pm »
My head hurts Lesley !
I think i can work out what you mean , just !
Have read it a few times and it makes more sense each time , it is me being a thicko not your explanation mate .
The material will be for plain smock type shirts , trousers and such like stuff . All more or less made of squares and rectangles really . Width dictated by the loom , 42" . Length by whatever practicalities apply , are there limits on length on this sort of loom ? Or do the limits apply to me ?
My idea was to have it set up to weave , then do x amount per day untii i have enough ie 2 yds / 10 yds whatever i need for that year ie 3pr trousers and 3 heavy duty shirts .
Does that make sense , or am i talking crap ?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 10:02:26 pm »
It makes sense. I don't know how long a warp that loom would take. My 42 inch table loom took 11 yards and possibly more but my warping board only did 11 yards max. The best thing is to start with around that amount and then try a yard more next time. I would imagine you could do up to 15 yards/metres.

Make sure you full the cloth before trying to cut it to reduce fraying.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 08:44:54 pm »
Got some info on some material i bought .
It is 100% cotton 140cm wide , 115g per sq mtr .
They call it 6060 (tech term) , that is 60x60x20 equal construction .
As they use metric , i assume that the 20 = 20mm .
I use imperial and had counted 64x64x1 inch , so that would seem about right .
So if i used a loom 140cm wide and had a 500g cone of the correct yarn , i could make 4 mtrs of fabric at 115g per mtr , plus 60g waste , if i made it using 60 strands x 60 strands .
Now that makes sense to me , have i worked it out correctly , or am i completely off target ?
The site i got the material is :
www.fabricuk.com/fabrics/161-cotton-fabric-60-square.html

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS