Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone registered Organic on a small scale?  (Read 5499 times)

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
Anyone registered Organic on a small scale?
« on: August 23, 2013, 10:54:14 am »
I've been toying with this and if I'm going to do it....need to crack on.

I've looked through the soil association website and can't see anything hugely different form my current low input system. Other than the constant need to seek permission when you do need to treat an animal. And the paperwork / bureaucracy.

We only have 17 acres permanent pasture plus a bit of woodland. Is it worth it? I had heard of some people not being able to sell sheep / lamb at a premium  because of the tail off in demand. Plus other people have more land and more options for crop/livestock rotation.

I am also tending towards the Soil Association because they certify wool. However, twice they have promised to send / email all the application forms and never done it. I always think if your not happy with the service before you have committed why would you bother?

Anyway rant over. I'd like to hear from those who have done the conversion as well as those he decided not.
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Anyone registered Organic on a small scale?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 11:57:38 am »
We decided not.  We have a relatively small set-up here and found that nothing we produced would sell at a higher premium if we were Organic than the one we get because we are local, free range, minimal meds, no pesticides, and the reputation we have slowly built up.  There were no extra benefits from being registered Organic at all, so we carry on doing what we do, following Organic principles, without being overseen by some remote body which charges through the nose for certification and to tell us how to do what we already do.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 12:02:58 pm »
I agree with Fleecewife, it depends on how you sell really. Our produce all goes to farm members or people on our 'Friends of the Farm' scheme - all of whom have been to visit the farm and know how we grow. For them the organic label isn't important.  so we don't bother with the faff and expense. If we were going down the 'farmers market' route then I think it might be worth considering as there you are selling to people who don't know you and would be reassured by the official labelling.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 01:15:53 pm »
One thing to take into consideration if you are looking to Organic certification for meat is where your nearest certified organic abbatoir is.  Our neighbours are certified organic (dairy and cheese) and have to take their stock over the border for organic slaughter. 

If you want to sell live animals then you need to work out how to sell either through organic markets (not common hereabouts) or directly farm to farm.  There will be no premium, in fact quite the reverse, if you sell through non-organic channels.

Just looked up where you are and I see you are near Blackmoor Gate - territory I know extremely well!  For advice on organic butchering and selling, talk to Jackie at Little Comfort Farm between West Down and Braunton.  She's been through it all and knows which abbatoirs, butchers, etc to use. ;)  Buy some of her beautiful pork, beef and/or eggs and ask her. ;)

At Lynton Farmers' Market and others, when I was down there, there were a lot of producers subscribing to something like the Wholesome Food Producers' association.  If you're looking at it from a veggy perspective, it could be worth talking to some of those.

Do let us know what you find out and how you get on. :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 03:54:25 pm »
We decided not as well, even though our land was registered as organic. We didn't see how we could possibly make a profit with such high registration fees and felt we could do without the extra paperwork (and heaven knows, there's enough of that as it is!) We just carry on being as organic as possible for our own satisfaction and the people who know us appreciate how we operate.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 10:21:28 pm »
We decided not as well, even though our land was registered as organic. We didn't see how we could possibly make a profit with such high registration fees and felt we could do without the extra paperwork (and heaven knows, there's enough of that as it is!) We just carry on being as organic as possible for our own satisfaction and the people who know us appreciate how we operate.
Ditto.  We feel the same.  Even the ELS scheme is restrictive enough.

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 06:48:50 am »
I decided against Organic because , for example, I could not use a pile of manure from another local farm because they are not certified Organic. The 'Organic' manure would have to come hundreds of miles on a lorry which in my opinion is self defeating. So I hawk my produce as "locally sustained without chemicles".
I carry a small 6x4 inch photograph album of the whole process in a chronological order to show how I produce 'locally sustained'. It works form me.
A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 07:49:17 am »
Also remember you have to feed organic feed ........... more expensive and can be difficult to obtain sufficient organic hay/ silage. 

As far as livestock meat is concerned,  personally,  the welfare of the animals is more important than whether they are organic.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 06:24:05 pm »
we decided against it too after much deliberation, the costs just weren't viable on a small scale, but we can still market our produce as locally grown etc
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 08:03:14 pm »
I work with a number of organic farmers who find it a struggle. one once described it to me as farming with one hand tied behind your back- and sometimes two. As a principle -fine as a business option- not really viable at small scale

pigalicious

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Caithness
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 08:51:27 am »
We too decided against due to cost mainly, but also paper work. And many of the other reasons mentioned above. We try to be as close as possible to organic. If you go organic with only a small acreage I'm sure it will cost far too much, and end up a millstone around your neck.

You would think the Soil Assoc would offer a greatly reduced rare for those with smaller farms and smallholders! I wonder if that's ever been suggested to them?

P

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS