Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weights  (Read 3331 times)

Higgins11

• Joined Nov 2008
Weights
« on: August 03, 2009, 02:54:49 am »
This is my first litter and wandering what these piglets should weigh at weaning time (8 weeks)

thanks

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Weights
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 07:02:25 am »
Its difficult to say, because breed sizes vary, as do litters.  Do they look well rounded, healthy, are they eating well.  If all of the above then dont worry.

Says HM who cant catch a piglet to weigh it for you.

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 07:59:08 am »
Without knowing what breed they are its difficult to say...but if they are all taking dry food and all look fit and healthy, don't worry...just keep an eye open and make sure they are all getting a fair share of the feed after Mum has gone - don't leave weening past 10 weeks though...not good for the sow.

Hope this helps

Farmer
 :farmer:

patmci

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 10:14:37 am »
we have a weaner left with 2 sows he is 7 weeks old and the runt of the litter, he is tiny. I think that he would die straight away if we wean soon also we have nothing his own age to go with him.

Regards Patrick

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 05:48:47 pm »
Hilary's last litter we had a tiny runt, Maxiumus who we left with mum when weaning the others.  He used to spend time with his siblings then wander back to mum for meals.  He was really cute.  Weaned him at around 13 weeks, never sure if he was getting any milk or whether it was just comfort.  He ate enough.  He killed out bigger than his sisters at the same age.  So it does work.

Higgins11

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 06:47:06 pm »
I weighed mine today (7weeks and a few days old) and the average was 22lbs (10kg if my conversion is correct)

they are mixed breeds of yorkshire some are hampshire.....etc......????

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 09:19:56 pm »
Sounds about right...only another 60kg to go...now just watch them grow!

Farmer ;D ;D
 :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS