Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I'm new and need advice!  (Read 1661 times)

Kitty

• Joined Jul 2013
I'm new and need advice!
« on: August 05, 2013, 05:30:32 pm »
 :chook:
Good afternoon from Sussex.  I am the very proud and besotted owner of three adorable chickens.  The sun has been shining just that little bit brighter since my girls came to live with us a year ago. I have carried out my own 'on the job training' and have weathered minor issues successfully however...

My Light Sussex developed a small bald patch, a distance below her vent, about the size of a 50p piece and which had obviously been pecked a few times giving it quite a sore appearance.  I sprayed her with purple aloe spray which stopped the pecking and improved the soreness.  The bald patch has gradually grown and is now about four times its initial size.  I have been to the vet and she had no idea despite a couple of her own chickens having the same problem.  It was suggested I should not worry as she was a good weight, ate well and laid well.  The problem of appearing sore remains and is only kept at bay by daily applications of SUDOCREME!  As she spends most of her day with her head down and bum in the air, she still gets the occasional peck when the cream has been worn away.
Throughout, she has been regularly wormed and mite checked ( although none found ), lives on bark and roosts in an egloo.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

AnimeLover

• Joined Aug 2013
Re: I'm new and need advice!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 09:01:13 pm »
Some of my chickens got that, but they where quite old, I also sprayed mine but never much improvement. Usually a change in weather will do that to my hens but mine all still fine.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
Re: I'm new and need advice!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 11:42:12 pm »
Is it possible that the bald spot is where she rests her weight when she's perching?  It sounds as though it's too far back from your description, but occassionally birds get "keel sores" or blisters.  Not sure what you could do if that is the case, other than remove the perch.  If she's getting pecked it might be worth putting her somwhere seperate until she's healed.  Hens do go for red things....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS