Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Too many boys  (Read 1998 times)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Too many boys
« on: July 31, 2013, 12:37:30 pm »
Oh dear out of  the 10 quail eggs that hatched I seem to have an awful lot of boys, haven't worked out yet which is which but a lot of frothy poos and a lot of noise! It's like a kind of throaty screechy noise they make not horrible and not terribly loud, is that the boys? And would anyone like some coturnex boys?
Anne

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Too many boys
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 12:43:19 pm »
Yes, sounds like it.

If they are the "wild" coloured, they can also be sexed by plumage. Male have cream, plain chest and females have a speckled chest.

How old are they? Watch they don't start fighting if there are females in there .... can do a lot of damage in a short space of time.  :o ::)

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 08:06:22 pm »
Touch wood I have only heard 1 of ours calling  :-\ I bet though that the others turn out male aswell , not had any eggs either , without checking I am guessing they must be about 8-9 weeks now
Graham

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 08:39:38 pm »
We have always had eggs by the time they are 7-8 weeks old.

We have sometimes found that if several males are together the dominant one seems to crow a lot and the lower ranking males seem quieter.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 09:27:55 pm »
eat them, they are delicious. we did them spatch cock / kfc style...yum

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS