Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Any ideas for a man's anniversary gift  (Read 15980 times)

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
Re: Any ideas for a man's anniversary gift
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2013, 01:39:32 pm »
we have a simple solution ..... we buy our own  :roflanim: all joking aside, we normally go into a shop together..my last present to helen was a fishing rod...  :thumbsup:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2013, 01:58:40 pm »
How about a weather station - one of those that has an outside sensor and then the signal is either picked up by your computer or a readout screen in the house.  He can then bore everyone rigid for months telling them how fast the wind's blowing, what the temperature dropped to overnight, that pressure's dropping so it may rain soon, etc......

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2013, 02:08:35 pm »
How about a weather station - one of those that has an outside sensor and then the signal is either picked up by your computer or a readout screen in the house.  He can then bore everyone rigid for months telling them how fast the wind's blowing, what the temperature dropped to overnight, that pressure's dropping so it may rain soon, etc......

That's a great present - but for me!!!!  I have a Env. Science degree and nothing would please me more than a gift like that.  I can also be a first class bore about rock formations and types.   :eyelashes:

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2013, 03:59:32 pm »
Donna I'm a gardener and the tool your hubby wants is one of these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Jakoti-Hand-Shears-/251240333952
You can get them a bit cheaper and if you buy one ask for xtra springs (usually free)

Other than a 4 inch quality paint scraper the only other tool he needs is a decent Felco secatears
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2013, 06:12:19 pm »
Ooooh - they look nice. What do you use them for CF?
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2013, 06:54:28 pm »
Its a shame that my better half doesn't come on here, because I could give her a gentle nudge towards getting me one of these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=tripod+cooking&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=23232882992&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=406845307253015081&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_36n8gds8qo_b

IMO, no man should be without one. They look great fun and I'm continuing ot work on the boss. :farmer:

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2013, 08:07:57 pm »
Ooooh - they look nice. What do you use them for CF?

They are for hand trimming sheep, but are used for cutting back plants and shrubs in the garden.
I use them for topary and general clipping. Very sharp and very strong. Brillant bit of kit.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2013, 08:38:28 pm »
My OH will be 60 in October and I'm facing the 'what can I get him?' problem. He isn't interested in anything much other than listening to music but he has just replaced all his hi-fi equipment. He does love Shire horses but we'd never fit one in the garden.  :roflanim: He also loves trains, particularly steam trains. He is also blind so no books. Help!

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2013, 09:24:33 pm »

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2013, 09:48:21 pm »
Thanks, CF but he already has a couple and listens quite often. They are the sort of things that the kids can get him though. Our daughter usually does give him CDs. I want to give him something special this year as it's a big birthday.

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2013, 11:02:59 pm »
Can you get an audio version of the Kindle - then he could access as many books as he likes?

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2013, 04:34:13 pm »
What about either a day out or a special trip out on a steam train, some have meals included, it would be even better if doubled up with a shire horse centre.   I grew up with my dad working on trains and the smell and feel of a steam train is something very special, you can feel the power all through your body.[font=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://www.steam-train.co.uk/[/font]
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 04:38:40 pm by happygolucky »

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2013, 10:08:00 pm »
I know you've got your gift sorted now, but this might be helpful to others - I bought my husband holsters (not sure if that is the right word or not) from Journeyman Leather for his sheep foot shears and dosing gun.  They slot onto his belt, and he has two dosing gun ones, so if he is say mineral drenching and worming at the same time, then stopping to do something else, everything is safe.  It is the only present I have ever seen him look genuinely pleased with.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2013, 10:58:11 pm »
I always appreciate booze, especially booze that no-one else likes and therefore will not drink.

Bottle of nice malt?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2013, 11:48:16 pm »
Can you get an audio version of the Kindle - then he could access as many books as he likes?

I bought him a Daisy reader which reads audio tapes, bookmarks them and everything about three years ago. He's not used it yet.  :rant: Says he has to 'be inthe mood for reading'.

What about either a day out or a special trip out on a steam train, some have meals included, it would be even better if doubled up with a shire horse centre.   I grew up with my dad working on trains and the smell and feel of a steam train is something very special, you can feel the power all through your body.[font=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://www.steam-train.co.uk/[/font]

I did think of this type of thing as a possible, Sandy. Checked this site but none of the links are working. We do have the Severn Valley Steam train near us so I might see what they do. There are also steam train holidays.

Bottle of nice malt?

He's teetotal. I'd have to drink it for him.  :thinking: :idea: Bottle of malt it is then.  :roflanim:

Carry on with the suggestions, folks.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS