Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hair loss  (Read 2307 times)

Clive

• Joined Sep 2012
    • Precious Porkers
    • Facebook
Hair loss
« on: July 20, 2013, 10:40:48 pm »
Both of our sows have lost a great deal of their hair and I can't decide why.
Strudel had hair loss on one side while nursing her piglets (now eleven weeks old). The piglets were weaned and strudel went to stay with Tinkerbell (I know, but my neice named her!)
They are both now losing hair drastically. I though of mange but both were injected with ivomectin a couple of weeks prior to the birth of the piglets. There is also no more scratching than usual.
They dont seem particularly stressed. Obviously like the whole country it has been blistering hot. Both of them spend a lot of time wallowing and are mostly covered in mud.
Their skin is a bit dry but there are no sores or anything unusual that I can see.
Both seem healthy otherwise.
We feed commercial sow rolls so hopefully it is not a deficiency.

Any ideas?

ferretkeeper

• Joined May 2013
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Brecon View Farm
    • Facebook
Re: Hair loss
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 11:31:29 pm »
Try some Camrosa ointment, it works wonders on every animal I've used it on! Just spent 20 minutes this afternoon with my new boar giving him a rub all over with it, soppy sod (him not me!) his skin was really dry looking and bald in places, I'm sure it'll do the trick, he certainly loved the attention.

I also used it on a couple of pigs with lice and it did a great job - they couldn't have ivermectin as they were due to go to slaughter inside the 28 day withdrawal, the bald patches started recovering and it made their coats all shiny, they looked amazing!!!
breconviewfarm.co.uk Rare breed, free range.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 11:49:28 pm »
its normal for this time of year, they are moulting, it can look horrendous but it will soon grow back

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 12:14:22 am »
I've dropped three of my Tamworths at the Royal Welsh Show today and they are almost naked! Exceptional year, heat-wise, but I wouldn't have expected a July 2012 to lose her coat so readily. They're normally okay until sows.
Every bloodline is different - one of the Lucky Lass senior sows (not showing till August) has a really thick coat and always manages to keep it.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Clive

• Joined Sep 2012
    • Precious Porkers
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 06:30:40 am »
Thank you Shygirl. Somehow I missed the fact that pigs moult! I'm embarrassed but relieved.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 07:59:26 am »
Thank you Shygirl. Somehow I missed the fact that pigs moult! I'm embarrassed but relieved.

thats ok. i never realised first time either. when our sows first moulted (weaners dont tend to) i thought they were lice ridden etc and they looked mangy and really quite terrible. they were walking round covered in lice powder for a while  :roflanim:
as most people tend to keep weaners, not everyone realises adults moult.
 :thumbsup:

Ann and Rob

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 07:35:24 pm »
I didn't realise that adults moult either, I had a panic when Margot lost all her hair too :-[

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS