Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 2 acres of woodland.  (Read 2539 times)

YoungRasher

• Joined Aug 2012
  • DERBYSHIRE
2 acres of woodland.
« on: July 17, 2013, 05:13:16 pm »
Hi All.
  The land we bought last year has got 2 acres of woodland with it which up until now we haven't touched. When we finished hay making at the weekend I decided to have a go at exploring it again. This is where the problem started. Its so thick and heavily packed that I can't access most of it. My question is what is the best way to clear the ground? Pigs were my first thought but then I wondered if there would be any poisonous plants or trees.

I'll try to get some pictures uploaded so you can see what I'm dealing with. There seems to be a lot of plants/shrubs that are in flower at the minute and these are the ones that are blocking the path. The whole piece of land borders on to a managed woodland and what I have has self seeded over the years.

I just wanted to see what other people would do with it.

Thanks.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: 2 acres of woodland.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 05:28:27 pm »
fence it and put piggies in if you want it clearing thoroughly, otherwise time to get the power tools out :-)

YoungRasher

• Joined Aug 2012
  • DERBYSHIRE
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 05:34:40 pm »
That sounds like the plan i'll go with.

Having never kept pigs before I was worried about over feeding them seeing as they would have so much to go at in the woods. would it just be a case of. if they look fat cut back.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 05:40:06 pm »
that will need to wait for an expert, i can only testify to the job i have seen done for others by piggies clearing rough ground!!!

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 06:03:18 pm »
I am always amazed at how fast plants grow in the woods, then in winter they all are gone.......I often walk in a forest where the Bracken is over my head, mind you that's not difficult as I am not that tall. Pigs would be great and you would benefit both ways....not sure its safe enough for any birds like chickens...too handy for the Fox etc!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS