Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What should ram lambs eat?  (Read 8286 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
What should ram lambs eat?
« on: July 11, 2013, 04:47:07 pm »
My ewes are on ewe nuts and all the lambs are on creep but its getting to the stage where they are eating each others food. The lambs are big and the opening for their creep area needs to be bigger too which means the shorn ewes can now get in there also.
I don't mind them eating each others food but I have 2 ram lambs and know they shouldn't be eating the ewe nuts.
Is there a food that they can all eat?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
Re: What should ram lambs eat?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 05:15:44 pm »
hi we feed all ours badminton country mix as they can all eat it with not effects to the boys
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 05:40:19 pm »
Many if not most feed merchants make a 16% 'stock blend' which is safe for all stock - check with your local suppliers ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 06:28:58 pm »
As Sally says and it's also called 'Coarse Mix'. Alternatively some may stock Hogget 14% which is also suitable for all.

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 06:54:39 pm »
I wouldn't give a ewe mix, something in it which can give them bladder stones or something (urea?). MV here said to use lamb finisher as being all that they stock for feeding rams. Harpers do a mix (Harvest super lamb mix) which can be used by all sheep.  Just wondering why you are feeding, I'm let mine get on with eating the grass. Meat should taste better too.
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 07:27:32 pm »
Just wondering why you are feeding, I'm let mine get on with eating the grass. Meat should taste better too.
I have been feeding them but lately reduced it right down to small rations. I am now at the end of the creep feed and want to continue with something to keep them friendly and coming to the bucket so that I can get them in easier when work needs to be done.
Hopefully none of mine will be going for meat.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 07:35:16 pm »
if you have grass, i wouldnt bother feeding them. once you have trained them to the bucket , they dont forget. ours were all bucket trained for catching and handling, but only got fed when i needed them (after the initial training). but mine were natives so only needed grass/haylage.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 07:59:42 pm »
Like Bionic we always have some feed on hand for gathering in and such (oh and perhaps spoiling from time to time  :eyelashes: )

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 08:16:41 pm »
I rang P & C about this last week ..... was told special additives for ram lambs are being withdrawn .... just ensure salt lick and lots water available .......... i use their 'ruminant course mix'
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 09:06:01 pm »
Grass.....

but if feel you must feed them you could look at ram mixes, but they tend to be very expensive. Another option would be lamb fattening rations. These are usually OK for tup lambs, but check the label to make sure. Sugar beet is another possibility.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 09:46:03 pm »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 10:06:39 pm »
I agree Sally that they really don't need any feed at all beyond grass.  If you will be keeping your males then you don't need them to 'fatten' - in fact you don't want them to fatten.  Same with the ewes - you want them to be in good condition by tupping time but not overfat which they will become with added feed on top of rich summer grass.
For bringing them in, we use Carr's Champion tup, but only enough to make a bucket rattle ie a tiny hand-not-full, and definitely not every day. It's what we feed the whole flock in winter as the ewes don't need a higher protein content than this coarse mix supplies, being primitives, and they don't need much even then.  The tups and non-breeding ewes only get concentrates when there's snow lying - they get ad lib hay and branches, and whatever grass there is left.
  Negative reinforcement works by not always giving the reward and is as successful as positive reinforcement, so don't worry that they will forget the bucket rattle - sheep don't forget  ;D

I can't remember what breed your sheep are, but I'm surprised they still come for the dry feed - ours just aren't interested.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 10:12:35 pm »
if you are needing the "bucket rattle" go for nuts rather than coarse mix, as they hear it from a longer distance.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 10:18:27 pm »
if you are needing the "bucket rattle" go for nuts rather than coarse mix, as they hear it from a longer distance.

But then the tups can't eat it. Ours respond to an empty bucket as long as it's the small blue one.  The lookout sheep will spot it and let the others know, then stand back for the charge (unless we're trying to round them up when they ignore it)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 11:27:04 pm »
An intermittent reinforcement schedule will maintain a behaviour better than a constant one. So occasionally feeding them will make them better at coming to the bucket. Its why gambling is addictive.  The worst thing that happens is you don't get what you want.  This is very different to negative reinforcement which is the taking away of something you want.
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS