Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How old is old?  (Read 5571 times)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
How old is old?
« on: July 11, 2013, 12:08:18 am »
So how old is old for a cat?
two of ours are 18 and 16. both in fine condition, just a bit deaf. we had them since kittens tho one was a cats home kitten.
how old do cats normally live for?  :eyelashes:

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
Re: How old is old?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 12:22:48 am »
I had a neighbour once who had two cats one was 26 and the youngster was 22 the older was a manx and the younger a cross Persian type. Guinness world record is 37 I think.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 06:46:53 am »
My original three from before I was married Tequila lived to 22. Tia 19 and Bourbon 21 which I though was a pretty good inning
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 07:40:36 am »
Our oldest was a week short of her 18th birthday.

Homer and Cassius were strays, so age was just a guesstimate; Felix is 14 this year.

I suspect 18+ is pretty old but is starting to be unusual as a % of the cat population, bit like being 90 or 100 in humans. An awful lot of cats don't see 2 due to accidents.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 08:43:55 am »
Yes I think your right Rosemary - mine were lucky that we've always lived a fare way from roads so they had a good chance of not getting injured.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 08:51:06 am »
Our old boy lived until 18 plus. He was a stray so not exact. When we first took him in he needed a bit of treatment and vet told us that he probably wouldn't have a very long life due to his bad start and the fact that he looked as though he had been that way for quite a long time.

He was a star.  :love: Always a bit grumpy, stayed a bit on the wild side but a special old lad.

Long live your mogs.  ;D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 11:29:44 am »
Mine have mostly lived 4 or less - accidents or shot - or to about 15 / 16.  Anything over that's a bonus, I'd say.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 04:42:51 pm »
Two house cats got to 15 and 16.  Farm cats tend to get run over, or something else happens and they never return.  But lost one last year who lived round the farm and she was in her early teens, so that was good.
Usually, its the old cats teeth that cause problems, and they tend to lose weight, although friend has a few toothless cats, and they are all ok!!  And my two old house cats both had to be pts because of kidney failure - symptoms include drinking lots of water.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 01:14:11 am »
I have Maddie, a deaf old yowly girl who is in her 20th year.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 11:38:37 am »
Wow!!  Maddie is an old lady then!!

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 11:39:52 am »
We had a white cat who was still alive at 20 yrs old and was killed by a stray Jack russel even though she was sat on our own door step with the door open
Graham

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 07:43:54 pm »
We had a white cat who was still alive at 20 yrs old and was killed by a stray Jack russel even though she was sat on our own door step with the door open

thats terrible, poor cat.

lokismum

• Joined Mar 2013
  • kent
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 08:10:19 pm »
I have 2
mother and 3 legged son
mum is 20
son is 18 he was 8 months old when we got him and leg was well healed by then
both still fat and happy
they like to be in more now than when they were younger but that's about it
we will get there
ONE DAY !!!!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 11:23:58 am »
I got 2 kittens from the CP and they lived to 17 and 19. My Burmese died age 18 she went a bit senile .

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 11:28:43 am »
the old girl is blooming at the moment, put on alot of weight over summer. shes not looking like shes on her last legs at all.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS