Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ashford Traveller  (Read 6613 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Ashford Traveller
« on: June 18, 2013, 05:42:56 pm »
I have just taken posession of an Ashford Traveller with double treadle. It belonged to a lady who died 5 years ago and has been sitting in their shed since then.
It needs a fair bit of tlc in terms of rusty bits, new flyer hooks and a bit of spit and polish but it seems to run smoothly even now.
The husband just wants a donation to charity for it. Any idea how much I should give?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

ferretkeeper

• Joined May 2013
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Brecon View Farm
    • Facebook
Re: Ashford Traveller
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 10:21:30 pm »
No idea at all I'm afraid but know a lady who might - Hannah who I mentioned before, and works in the wooly bit of  the Gower Heritage Centre. I don't have her contact details but can get them if you like, she was going to have a look at a friends two spinning wheels to get them going again.
breconviewfarm.co.uk Rare breed, free range.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 04:22:23 am »
Congratulations, that'll be a lovely wheel!  Also, you can now join Ashford UK Spinners on Ravelry - a lovely friendly bunch :)

In terms of value; well you won't get a double treadle Traveller on eBay for less than £170 - I know, because that was what I originally tried to buy!

Single treadle ones generally fetch around £160, although some in way out areas where the seller won't post 'em on may fetch less; best I've seen recently was just under £125.  There was one last year less than £100 but you don't see that often.

The double treadle conversion kit is over £100  :o - but all new Travellers are double treadle now; you have to make a special order to get a single treadle one.  Since some people (myself included) prefer single treadle, I think the price difference between single and double treadle may only be £40-£50 now.

You'll have discovered the Ashford maintenance kit?  It's about £17 I think, and includes all the little replaceables (like flyer hooks) and consumables you're likely to need.  Consequently an Ashford needing spit and polish often fetches only £25-£35 less than one that's a bit more up together.

Is it double drive or just scotch tension, do you know?  And how many whorls on the flyer?  2 or 3?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 09:37:50 am »
Sally, its scotch tension which is what I'm used to. I think it has 2 whirls on the flyer.

The maintenance kit has just been ordered and some wax polish with a bit of antique brown in it is on its way too.
The spare bobbins were well and truly stuck (rusted) on but with a bit of help from WD40 and some elbow grease last night freed them up and sanded the rods down so they lift on and off quite easily now.
I'm very happy that it has a double treadle as I have a dodgy right ankle and think it will help being able to use both together. I have never been able to get used to using my left foot on its own for treadling.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 09:47:55 am »
Sounds great  :thumbsup:

I've a friend finished her Traveller in wax and wishes she hadn't  - whenever she takes it out and it gets a spot of rain on it, she has to refinish it.   :(  So if you're using wax, it may be worth putting some wax varnish on top when you're done.  Or getting it a cover.  Unless you don't plan on taking it out, in which case it won't matter!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 10:02:06 am »
Danish oil is what I use on my wheels, put on with a brush - three coats and it's well sealed  :spin:

As for how much to pay through a charity, it's entirely up to you of course.  I would think £100 - maybe check which charity the husband of the previous owner would like.  That would then get you a bargain and the charity a nice sum. 

I love my Traveller - double treadle I find so much easier to use than single, as my second leg gets very bored doing nothing  :D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 10:57:26 am »
I'm finishing my new Traddy in Danish Oil  :thumbsup:.   

I thought I was done, having done 3 coats (except someone's advised me to do 6 or 7 light coats on the treadle, which sounds sensible) - but we had a neighbour arrive in distress part way through, so it's ended up with some bits that need sanding back and re-doing  :(.  Never mind, I'll be putting it together pretty soon...   I'm doing the 'Tour de Fleece' on Ravelry, so am hoping to have it up and running for that.  (It runs alongside the Tour de France, as if you couldn't have guessed, so starts on June 29th.)

This is my lefthanded Traddy (orifice on the right); I'm excited and nervous in equal measure!  I draft with my right hand forward (which is lefthanded for a spinner  :-\), so my upper body will feel better this way around - but I usually treadle with my right foot and I think I'll need to treadle this wheel with my left foot. :thinking:   I've been practising treadling with the left foot - it's helpful to switch legs anyway and all my wheels are single treadle - but have a bit of a gammy knee on that side at the mo...   I can always treadle with both feet on the treadle plate, I guess!  :D

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 10:59:04 am »
Sounds great  :thumbsup:

I've a friend finished her Traveller in wax and wishes she hadn't  - whenever she takes it out and it gets a spot of rain on it, she has to refinish it.   :(  So if you're using wax, it may be worth putting some wax varnish on top when you're done.  Or getting it a cover.  Unless you don't plan on taking it out, in which case it won't matter!
I will be taking it out to spinning club each week and we get invited to quite a few fayres so it will go with me there too but it will always be covered.  At the moment I have a small plastic union jack sheet that came from the olympics but will try to make a more permanent cover/bag for it. I love it already :excited:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 06:33:21 pm »
A good wheel, Sally, and I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with it. I have a single treadle Traveller and love it but would like a double treadle at some point. I do use both feet though.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 07:57:40 pm »
great find , Give me a shout if you need it repaired/restored as i know some people who can help you out.

Linz

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 09:24:06 am »
Thanks Linz but I'm hoping it doesn't need too much tlc as the wheel and treadles are all moving freely. I have been told to take it all apart and do each bit seperately but I don't think I am going to do that as I am sure not to put it together again properly. ;D :spin:

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 09:39:21 am »
taking it apart to oil is the best option but only if you can put it back together :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 09:58:02 am »
Sally, all the assembly guides are on the Ashford website, they have all the instructions for all their wheels, both present and past versions. 

I think this one is probably the closest to your wheel, but if any of it doesn't look the same as your wheel, go to the 'past guides' page and look at one of the others ;).

It's worth getting the guide anyway, even if you don't plan to disassemble and reassemble the wheel, as it shows you where you need to oil, and where to use candle wax (or Vaseline works) instead, and also has troubleshooting guides, etc.

In case you haven't seen it already, there's a video on YouTube where Richard Ashford himself takes you over a Traddy, showing you where and how to oil.  You'll translate what he's doing to the Traddy to your Traveller without any problem.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 10:30:53 am »
Sally, thanks very much for that info. My maintenance kit is in the post so I should get it either today or tomorrow.  :thumbsup:   

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 10:46:59 am »
And take before and after photos.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS