Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Clik or Crovect?  (Read 36145 times)

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Clik or Crovect?
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 07:29:24 pm »
I've just done a little comparison since I had both bottles:

I'd say Crovect was a better bet (more varied/ less toxic) but just have to apply more frequently.
                                                                                                                                                             While i use both products , i should point out that   CYPERMETHRIN is a nerve toxin, over applying to kill maggots on small/weak lambs can kill them ,  it should not be applied as protection to lambs under 12.5kg , and treated sheep need to be kept away from water courses as it is toxic  to aquatic life . 

onnyview

• Joined Dec 2009
    • onnyview free range produce
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 09:53:20 pm »
Just something else to add. Crovect will kill live maggots, click will prevent infestation and has no claim to knock down live maggots. But, click has fleece binding technology in it which keeps the product in the fleece for longer, giving longer protection. We did not want to pay the extra for click over crovect last year and paid the price. Our lambs were strong, healthy and had no dirty bums at all, yet we had 16 cases of strike, some just days after applying the crovect correctly to dry wool. They occurred on the shoulder, back and belly. Bottle contents were tested by Novartis and came back fine. So be warned. In extreme weather ( aka our summer) crovect can fail. We have used click this year and so far no problems.  :excited:

Allison
Onnyview free range produce- Gloucestershire Old Spot pigs, Hill Radnor and Llanwenog sheep.

www.onnyview.moonfruit.com

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2013, 11:26:29 am »
I bought Clik last year for my 5 ewes. I thought it was very expensive for so few BUT it does have a long shelf life (so long as you don't leave in the barn when its too cold) so I am able to use it again this year. I have already done the 4 lambs and the ewes will be done in another week or so as they were only shorn a week back.

I tried googling for the shelf life but no joy, can you tell me what the shelf life is of an opened bottle? I guess it must be on the label.  This could change my next purchase to Click.

Thanks

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2013, 12:15:01 pm »
According to NOAH the shelf life after first opening is 1 year.
My girls were done later last year because of the weather so I am still within the period and able to do them again with the same bottle this year.
http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Novartis_Animal_Health_UK_Ltd/CLiK_5_ACU-_w_v_Pour-On_Suspension/-27894.html
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2013, 01:57:03 pm »

I tried googling for the shelf life but no joy, can you tell me what the shelf life is of an opened bottle? I guess it must be on the label.  This could change my next purchase to Click.

Thanks
                                                                                                                                                             CLIK  12mths        CROVECT 3mths

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2013, 05:51:02 pm »
Thanks for your patience, I just re read 'smudgers' post and its all in there, what a muppet!!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2013, 12:57:53 am »
we always used crovect and never had any problems. we had strike one year on a few ewes before shearing time but it never came back after they were sprayed with crovect.

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2013, 07:27:42 am »
We usually use Crovect, it is good for treatment, although purchased Dysect last time as it was a bit cheaper and provides slightly longer protection. We kept some Crovect back in case it was needed for treatment though as have had sheep with severe reactions to Dysect when used for treatment.
I am surprised that Crovect wasn't effective onnyview, as it has always been really good at treating, just spraying a bit on the affected area without any need for clipping it always seems to have done the job, fortunately have seen any flystrike for a couple of years or so now. Obviously with 16 lambs affected I wouldn't want to be using it again though, just seems odd.
We usually use a herbal spray too at the beginning and the start of the season to limit the use of chemical sprays, it also gets used on any meat lambs that we don't want to have a withdrawal restriction on, as well as being the only spray used on the show lambs through the summer as I react to Crovect etc.

We stopped treating the adult sheep altogether a few years ago, once they are shorn they don't seem to suffer any fly strike and we haven't had any cases since doing so. However have since been advised that it would help keep flies away from the ewes udder and hence help prevent mastitis if we used it, not sure about this, but guess it would help limit the fly population a bit.
re Click, the advantage of this is that it should only need to be applied once through the season, whereas Crovect may need 2 or 3 applications.  However as said earlier you cannot use Click as a treatment, it works by inihibiting growth of the blowfly larvae so will have no effect on larvae that have reached the stage to cause strike damage.

wayfarer

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2013, 08:11:04 pm »
Having looked at the details online about both Clik & Crovect both appear to advise that you do not touch the fleece for a number of weeks afterwards.  This would be hard for us as the lambs are treated as pets (until they have to go for meat) so I would be concerned about this as my boys like to stroke and cuddle them.  Does anyone have any views on this?

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2013, 10:07:08 pm »
Having looked at the details online about both Clik & Crovect both appear to advise that you do not touch the fleece for a number of weeks afterwards.  This would be hard for us as the lambs are treated as pets (until they have to go for meat) so I would be concerned about this as my boys like to stroke and cuddle them.  Does anyone have any views on this?

Personally I wouldn't want children handling lambs that had been recently treated with Crovect, Clik etc, as posted above our show lambs and those due to go for meat soon are treated with a herbal spray and this is because of the handling they get and trimming etc, I have had bad reactions to Crovect, I believe it contributed to a severe anaphylaxis event which I am probably lucky to have survived.   Also Dysect caused severe reactions in sheep that were treated for blowfly strike using it including an anaphylactic reaction.
Barrier Animal Health make a preventive solution which is suitable for use in organic situations, I believe it lasts 3 weeks or so. We use Dynamite, which is a herbal product that you dilute with water, but it needs to be applied very frequently especially during wetter weather and during high risk fly strike times, I don't think that it is produced specifically for sheep or flystrike but we have found it effective as a repellant, but we are up on a hill and I wouldn't want to give it any guarentees as such especially in lower lying land etc.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2013, 12:06:03 am »
If you are handling your lambs every day you could decide not to spray and instead to be very vigilant for any signs of strike.

But I would certainly not be allowing children to fondle sheep sprayed with Crovect.  I have become sensitized to it, and have to use waterproofs, latex gloves, eye mask and mouth mask when using.  If you look at what it does to the waterproofs, you'll certainly wonder whether you want it touching your, or your children's, skin! :o
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

wayfarer

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2013, 08:24:57 am »
Thank you for your advice and experience - that solves it for me.  We will watch carefully and in bad times use a herbal fly repellant. 

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2013, 10:24:04 pm »

Get some woolshedding sheep.  :P

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS