Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Clik or Crovect?  (Read 36191 times)

maddy

• Joined Jul 2012
Clik or Crovect?
« on: June 14, 2013, 08:07:45 am »
I have only had my 3 ryeland ewes since November so am unsure what to use.

They now have 10 week old lambs.  The ewes have been shorn.

What should I use as a preventative?  Clik or Crovect.  Do I also spray the lambs? 

Many thanks.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Clik or Crovect?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 10:04:56 am »
Clik. Crovect will treat but not prevents clik will do both. Do the lambs too, ESP the ram lambs as I find they get targeted worse.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 10:35:32 am »
Crovect will protect (*) provided you use the correct application method, and will also treat.  It is less environmentally damaging than Clik.  Vetrazin is even less environmentally damaging but protects for a shorter period, so in some areas you may need to repeat before the end of the fly season.  Also, Vetrazin is not a treatment, so you may still need Crovect to treat any that do get struck.

The most important thing is to keep bottoms clean - keep on top of worms and fluke, dag/crutch any dirty bottoms.

(*)
Quote from: NOAH Compendium
Uses

For the treatment and control of headflies. For the treatment of tick infestation with a persistent efficacy of 10 weeks (the majority of ticks killed within 3 hours), and treatment of biting lice in sheep. For the prevention and treatment of blowfly strike on sheep.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 12:23:06 pm »
Crovect will protect (*) provided you use the correct application method, and will also treat.  It is less environmentally damaging than Clik.  Vetrazin is even less environmentally damaging but protects for a shorter period, so in some areas you may need to repeat before the end of the fly season.  Also, Vetrazin is not a treatment, so you may still need Crovect to treat any that do get struck.

The most important thing is to keep bottoms clean - keep on top of worms and fluke, dag/crutch any dirty bottoms.

(*)
Quote from: NOAH Compendium
Uses

For the treatment and control of headflies. For the treatment of tick infestation with a persistent efficacy of 10 weeks (the majority of ticks killed within 3 hours), and treatment of biting lice in sheep. For the prevention and treatment of blowfly strike on sheep.

That's really interesting! as a number of different experienced sheep people (independently) told me what I posted, they must have been wrong but it's odd they had come to that conclusion.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 12:35:11 pm »
I alternate between Dysect and Crovect - Countrywide Farmers had a good deal on Crovect recently with £10 off the retail price and so for once it was cheaper to purchase than the Dysect!  I have never had an issues with Crovect and it most definitely does protect as well as treat - although you must ensure you spray over all areas you want protected, whereas with Dysect, the oiliness of the product means it tends to spread over a greater area itself!   To be honest I prefer Dysect out of the two as the flies go nowhere near the smell.   With Clik you will find that the product does not stop flies laying their eggs on the fleece but does stop the eggs hatching in to maggots.

wayfarer

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 12:47:35 pm »
I only have 2 lambs which makes both Clik and Crovect very expensive to buy - even more so if you have to buy an applicator as well.  Is it possible to measure out the dosage and just dribble it along the backbone? Or is there another more cost effective solution to this problem for very small numbers of lambs?

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 01:18:23 pm »
I've just bought crovect and confirm it does 'prevent'. Interestingly Vetrazin does not need preapproval under organic systems so should be the most environmentally effective. Any one used it found it effective or know how it compares?  I have a Click gun but it seems I need to use a Crovect gun, so should really decide to use one product and stick to it.....
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 02:09:31 pm »
I use crovect, only have a few sheep so not worth me having clik and crovect, so although you have to do crovect more regularly as it's only a few that's not a worry and as others have said you can use it direct onto strike to kill the maggots whereas you can't with clik.  hope that helps

So many ideas, not enough hours

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 02:31:08 pm »
You don't need to Clik shorn sheep until the fleece is long enough for the maggots to cling to - about 1cm.  I try to shear in early May, Clik a month later and that lasts until the flies stop laying in the Autumn.  I do the lambs once I see greenbottles - they generally lay first in our area and the other types of fly come in once they can smell the first batch of maggots.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 02:32:13 pm »
Wayfarer - with such small numbers I would recommend purchasing a plastic spray bottle from your local garden centre/£1 shop (the type sold for spraying indoor house plants or similar) and then spraying your sheep/lambs over back/shoulders/rump that way.  It is much more cost effective for you and gives a good all-over coverage.  The guns are a huge expense, although the one for use with the Dysect is only circa £18.   

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 02:34:55 pm »
It is worth noting that crovect and ectofly are the same chemical, because often ectofly works out a bit cheaper.

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 02:52:58 pm »
I've just done a little comparison since I had both bottles:

I'd say Crovect was a better bet (more varied/ less toxic) but just have to apply more frequently. No idea of cost :-[ . Downside of having an 'account'....

MEDICINECHEMISTRYDOSAGEPROTECTIONWITHDRAWAL - MILKWITHDRAWAL - MEATWITHDRAWAL - SHEARCOMMENTS
CROVECT1.25% w/v cypermethrin5-10ML LAMBS TO 20/40KG; 15-20ML </> 60KG6-8WKS - BLOWFLY, HEADFLY, TICKS, LICEDO NOT USE8 DAYS?USE WITHIN 3 MTHS OF OPENING - TREATS AND PREVENTS. ECTOFLY A CHEAPER ALTERNATIVE.
CLICK5% DICYCLANILSMALL / LARGE LAMBS - 20/25ML; HOGGS / SMALL EWES - 30ML; 50KG+ 35MLBLOW FLY ONLYDO NOT USE40 DAYS12 WKSUSE WITHIN 12 MTHS OF OPENING; HANDLE ALL SHEEP WITH GLOVES
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 04:54:00 pm »
I only have 2 lambs which makes both Clik and Crovect very expensive to buy - even more so if you have to buy an applicator as well.  Is it possible to measure out the dosage and just dribble it along the backbone? Or is there another more cost effective solution to this problem for very small numbers of lambs?

Wayfarer, just to add to Zakthelads post.
I’m in a similar position to you, but looking at the guns they can put out a drizzle or spray depending what’s needed.  I now successfully use one of the spray bottles that cleaning liquid comes in, (shower shine, cillit bang type things). The right one can spray or jet depending on which way you turn the nozzle.  Just measure out the dosage and spray/jet until empty.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 05:19:07 pm »
I bought Clik last year for my 5 ewes. I thought it was very expensive for so few BUT it does have a long shelf life (so long as you don't leave in the barn when its too cold) so I am able to use it again this year. I have already done the 4 lambs and the ewes will be done in another week or so as they were only shorn a week back.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 06:15:09 pm »
I have used Vetrazin, yes, and found it an effective preventative treatment.  As with Crovect, you do either need to use the correct applicator or, I guess, use a spray bottle to cover the same areas you would as directed with the pukka applicator.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS