Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Horsey weekend  (Read 3844 times)

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
Horsey weekend
« on: June 13, 2013, 10:27:59 pm »
Hi all :wave:
I am looking into booking a trekking weekend for myself and a couple of friends later in the summer. We are all competent riders (but want a safe sensible horse, as we don't bounce like we once did!!! ;D )
We are in north Scotland and NE Scotland, and wondered if anyone on here had any ideas as to where would be a good place to go........
Also was looking into a weeks hols at the Cumbrian Heavy Horse place in a couple of years for a holiday, so have any of you been there and if so is it as fantastic as it looks online?
Many thanks in advance
Pauline

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Horsey weekend
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 10:36:11 pm »
i know a lady that has clydedales and also does carriage driving. (its a proper riding school but im sure she could be flexible to suit)  its near bennachie, aberdeenhsire so a lovely spot for hill walking/castles, stone circles too. im sure there is accomodation somewhere nearby.
is that any good?

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 07:40:01 pm »
i know a lady that has clydedales and also does carriage driving. (its a proper riding school but im sure she could be flexible to suit)  its near bennachie, aberdeenhsire so a lovely spot for hill walking/castles, stone circles too. im sure there is accomodation somewhere nearby.
is that any good?

Ooh is that Strathorn?
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Garvie

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Fraserburgh
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 08:43:11 pm »
There is a place in ellon ladymires that does hacking and stuff but there are loads of places round Aberdeen inverurie way but nothing peterhead fraserburgh way :(. There are places out Huntley way as well,

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 09:09:14 pm »
yes strathorn.
i know there used to be highland trekking places as they were advertised in the horsey magazines but i havent bought one for years.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 12:01:55 pm »
Well I can vouch for Strathorn - we bought our Cydie from them  ;D and they have nice hacking available.

What about the one at Glen Tanar?

Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 08:36:02 pm »
Hi and a big sorry for not saying thank you for your replies - OH has had a bad back and a family crisis meant that I have not had a chance to look on here! I will google some of the places that you mentioned and see what I can come up with
Many thanks again :thumbsup:
Pauline

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 09:25:46 pm »
Would not bother with Ladymires its pretty poor.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 09:53:02 pm »
Glen Tanar near Aboyne is worth a try or further afield if you fancy something more open, on highland ponies you could do worse than Newtonmore trekking, the Ormistons place, they have been involved with the ponies fr many decades over several generations.
http://newtonmoreridingcentre.com/

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 10:07:25 pm »

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 06:53:56 pm »
Thanks lachlanandmarcus and shygirl :thumbsup:
The Newtonmore place looks great so will give them a call! The Highlandsunbridled is actually not to far from where I stay, so would rather trek in an area less known to me, so I felt that I was getting 'away' for a couple of days! - if that makes sense?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS