Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 3039 times)

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
Advice please
« on: June 11, 2013, 08:26:32 am »
I've just had a look at the jam jar shop via a link on another post. It looks great . Dose anyone use them regally ?
 Only reason I ask, is having just moved into a property with a small orchard and a large soft fruit area I've got to do something with the produce. So I was thinking jams, jellies. But I'm clueless about the whole thing ???  .
So advice please on what basic equipment I need, where to get it, how to use it. And can someone please tell me what pectins are  ???  I know some fruit has it and some don't . How do you know which is which :dunce: .
 Like I said advice please. Want to be ready for when all the fruit ripens. I know what the family are getting every Christmas for the foreseeable future  :innocent: .

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Re: Advice please
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 08:56:51 am »
Pectin is basically something that is in a lot of fruits and it makes jams set!  Don't worry too much about it, asif the fruit you have doesn't have enough to set the jam or jelly, you can either add a fruit that does (apple, or citrus peel) to the mix, or buy concentrated pectin from somewhere like Lakeland (I daresay the jam and jelly website also sells it?!)

You will need either a large heavy bottomed saucepan or a conserve pot (I use the one they sell at Lakeland) and a wooden spoon! a metal funnel and a straining bag (or a bit of clean net curtain) are also useful.  Its often hit and miss making it, but make sure all your jars are sterilised well first so the jam keeps.  You can do this in a water bath, microwave or in the oven - jars have to be hot when you pour the jam or they may break!  Loads of info available on the net and recipes.  Good luck.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 09:14:50 am »
I can highly recommend the River Cottage Preserves handbook. It'll tell you everything you need to know and has loads of fab recipes  :thumbsup:

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 10:05:25 am »
My first attempts at jam last summer were a bit of a disaster. I used my biggest saucepan which just wasn't big enough to prevent the liquid boiling over and the surface area on the bottom of the pan was too small to get the liquid to setting temperature on my electric '70's oven. So, i bought a jam pan and jam thermometer and haven't looked back. I could do with a few other bits to make life a bit easier like a jam funnel as at the moment I only have small plastic funnels! But the pan and thermometer were the basics I found I couldn't do without. I also use the jam pan for stuff like the nettle cordial i made last week and I use the thermometer for making homemade sweets/toffee etc. so i think it's worth investing.

I'd also recommend getting a book about preserving, it will be good to be able to reference especially regarding stuff like pectin content.

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 06:49:23 pm »
Thanks for the advice  :thumbsup: .
 I've had a look at the river cottage preserves handbook. It looks really good.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 07:52:36 pm »
I would also suggest a book. Sonia Alisons book of preserves is good although there isn't a picture to be seen  :(  I do like pics in my cookery books.
You can buy fairly cheap preserving pans but to be honest I would go for the best you can afford as a cheap one is probably a false economy especially if you are going to be doing a lot.  A jam thermometer is useful although not essential but it will probably give you some confidence when you begin.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 12:10:32 pm by Bionic »
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

ferretkeeper

• Joined May 2013
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Brecon View Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 12:03:28 pm »
Nettle Cordial?

Do tell!

What's the recipe and what does it taste like?
breconviewfarm.co.uk Rare breed, free range.

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 01:09:43 pm »
Nettle Cordial?

Do tell!

What's the recipe and what does it taste like?

i used this recipe provided by pitmanuk, its very nice! http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=33884.0

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS