Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Red apple  (Read 7183 times)

Rosiecrad

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Somerset
Red apple
« on: June 06, 2013, 04:01:37 pm »
Hi all :) :tree:

I'm looking to plant a few extra apple trees this autumn and i would love a couple of deep red crimson apples ( the skins)

Does anyone have any varieties they would recommend?

Thanks rosie

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
Re: Red apple
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 04:32:35 pm »
Bloody Ploughman is one of our local varieties and is a very deep red when ripe.

Less deep but my favourite is Discovery - very early too.

A list of red varieties here:

http://www.gardenappleid.co.uk/index.php/red-menu

:apple: :apple: :apple:

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 12:54:09 am »
Sops in Wine has reddish flesh, red leaves and even the sap runs red (apparently - mine is only one year old so too early to judge but the leaves are definitely pretty).

H

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 07:35:34 am »
Sops in Wine has reddish flesh, red leaves and even the sap runs red (apparently - mine is only one year old so too early to judge but the leaves are definitely pretty).

Mmmm, never heard of that before, and according to one site "It's at it's best when used to make a sweet cider". Will need to get one or two.  :)

Rosiecrad

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Somerset
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 01:26:24 pm »
Thanks!
I've heard of Bloody ploughmans and sops in wine sounds interesting! will look them up!

denmylne

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 12:22:12 pm »
the bloody ploughman, was raised in the carse of gowrie, story goes that a ploughman picked some overhanging apples from a tree in the huntly castle estate and was shot dead by the gamekeeper, the apples took seed and the bloody ploughman was the result

you should also look at the red devil, weird looking tree, red leaves, bark, pips and skin......the flesh is also bright red???

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 06:21:42 pm »
Sops in Wine. I've planted a couple of those, you can obtain them from Adams Apples.

I have eight five year old  'Red Devil' apple trees on 106 here in the orchard and touch wood, things are looking promising for a good crop from them  this year. :fc:

Yummersetter

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 11:30:34 pm »
A local apple is Quarrenden, or as its called round here, Quarantine, A quite small, early, deep crimson fruit with a red wine / rose flavour.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 12:01:59 am »
have you tried adams apples? - he has alot of choice. and hes somewhere down your way.

http://www.talatonplants.co.uk/

Yummersetter

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 01:42:38 pm »
I have a collection of red apples, not really crimson, more deep scarlet in my new orchard. The majority are 'Red' versions of classic varieties, so Red Alkemene, Red Beauty of Bath, Red Ellison, Red Fortune, Red Melba, Red Miller, Red Norfolk Royal, Red Peasgood Nonsuch, Red Windsor. Also Red Delicious and Redsleeves, plus a couple of more ornamental, red flowered and leaved trees, Pixirosso and Redlove Circe. A few more were beautifully bright red coloured this year - Opalescent, Queen Alex and Queening, Pearl and Queen Cox. And for cider, Kingston Black is deep crimson.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 04:52:40 pm »
Bloody Ploughman is one of our local varieties and is a very deep red when ripe.
Strangely enough, that's the first one that came to my mind! I really want one of those - just to be able to say "I've got a bloody ploughman in my garden, and no - I'm not swearing!"  ;D

Rosiecrad

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Somerset
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 08:49:20 pm »
Thanks! Great suggestions, I'll have a look at adams apples too!
Rosiex

Rosiecrad

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Somerset
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 09:19:13 pm »
Just looked up "red" apples on Adams apples and the bloody ploughmans look great and so do sops in wine. They come from the south west and both are quite reasonably priced on there!
Rosiex :D :tree:

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 10:09:54 am »
I had a red devil in my previous house before movng to this farm - as my first attempt at espaliers. It grew very well and some years have high crops of apples. they are quite large for a dessert apple but only become as crimson as the pictures in full sun. The more shaded fruit didnlt colour up anywere near as much. When really red the redness does tinge the flesh below the skin quite a  way. It 's fresh tasting juicy apple and well worth growing if you have room.

My favourite red apple used to be sold as 'canadian red' in the shops. A large oval juice apple with deep red flesh. Crsip to bite but browns quicky if eaten very slowly. I dont know what it's official name may be but doubtless Adam at adams apples will - he's a bright lad.

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 01:17:43 pm »
I had some absolute beauties on my trees last summer. On a bitingly cold day like today, it seems like a long time ago.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS