Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sheep hurdles  (Read 3515 times)

Ollie1

• Joined Jun 2013
sheep hurdles
« on: June 05, 2013, 02:28:00 pm »
What advice would you give, with regards purchasing sheep hurdles, as there are various sizes, I am being coached by a shepherd, and he said get 8.  What size should I purchase, I am looking to get 6 - 8 sheep.
Thanks
Peter
Ollie

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: sheep hurdles
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 02:40:49 pm »
8 is a good number for that amount of sheep.  I would get 4x6' and 4x5' ones.  That gives you lots of options for pen sizes.   (or 6x6' and 2x5')  Depends on the size of your sheep though too, if you only have teeny sheep then the 5' (or 4') will be more useful.  And depends if you are going to use them to form lambing pens at any time too. :)
You can never have too many ;).

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 03:03:11 pm »
Ollie, I only got my sheep (5) last year. We bought 4 4x6 hurdles and they have been invaluable. Having said that a few more wouldn't go amiss.  We have used them for penning in the sheep when we do any work on them, carving up the stable so that they had seperate pens at lambing, and a couple of them are now being used is a corner of the field as a creep area for the lambs. 
The shearer is coming this evening so I will need to get them from the field so that we can pen the ewes up for him.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 11:11:58 pm »
Always need more hurdles ;D , buy as many as you can afford.  There is an ad on e-bay for ex-demo hurdles which are about £10 cheaper than brand new ones from Mole Valley.  I can't vouch for them as I have bought all mine secondhand, often through e-bay.  Whatever you get, keep them under lock and key as they vanish from the fields around here >:( >:( .

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 11:17:50 pm »
6 foot and 4 foot are common sizes, and 6 x 4 makes a good sized pen.  Get more than you think because they are so useful!!
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS