Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How many years do ducks lay regularly?  (Read 1742 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
How many years do ducks lay regularly?
« on: July 18, 2009, 05:04:49 pm »
We've had our ducks for around a year now but I have no idea how old they are. We seem to be one or 2 eggs short each day at the moment and with me watching as carefully as I can the ducks in question don't seem to lay in the garden either (no disappearing acts lol).  :&>

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: How many years do ducks lay regularly?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 05:20:59 pm »
about 5 years should be good, but most ducks drop eggs anywhere so available to crows magpies, rats weasels and all sorts..... also you might find a hidden nest somewhere, not easy to find as they cover the eggs with grass...... ive been short sometimes and found a nest with 30 eggs... all no good as you dont know how old they are...... if you find a nest laying area dont remove all the eggs as they clear off and find somewhere else to lay...  leave 2 china eggs in the nest , it can be hard to get them to lay in a man made nest box like a chicken, people leave them locked up till about 9 am as they lay early morning.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 05:26:47 pm by harry »

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
Re: How many years do ducks lay regularly?
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 06:05:07 pm »
Been there, done it all, Harry, and that every day! I can tell from the colour of the egg whose is missing and the likelyhood of me finding them, lol. Luckily we don't have magpies here. Usually the girls in question do disappear for some time but not at the moment, all nicely in one flock every time I count. Could be that one is off lay for a bit or slowing down... :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS