Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig with a limp + big pig little pig  (Read 1911 times)

Cjnewton82

• Joined Nov 2012
Pig with a limp + big pig little pig
« on: June 01, 2013, 09:25:10 pm »
but a quick over view i have 7pigs all the same ages days apart in age 3LB 2SB 1GOS !OSB  four of the pigs are really kicking on in size (1LB !GOS 1SB and 1OSB)

I have now noticed that one  of my pigs a 3.5moth old saddle back has i limp on his front left foot(he is also half the size of his brother) from watching over the last day or so one of my other pigs a GOS of the same age but much bigger is mounting him alot could that be the course?? if so should i move him and a couple of the other smaller pigs?? plus how soon should i leave the limb before contact a vet??
thaank you

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Pig with a limp + big pig little pig
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 09:46:04 pm »
Have you checked to see if he has any cuts or swelling  to the foot?
Does he get  his share of the food at feeding time.

You could separate him with another to keep him company until his limp is better, to see if it helps. You could also give the vets a call for some advice, if they have seen your pigs they may be willing to prescribe an analgesic/anti inflammatory. I have got Finadyne paste that works well.
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 09:33:27 am »
Ditto Eastling, he's most likely being bullied and this is what's causing it.

I'd try to seperate him and check him over fully, wash and look at his foot - it could be a stone between his toes or a cut to the soft pad. Also feel his leg for swelling or heat - a sure sign of inflamation/infection.
If he's twisted or staved it, it should mend itself in 24-48 hours (providing he's in isolation away from the bully) but depending on what it is that's caused it, you might need an anti-inflammitory or an antibiotic (in the case of an infected cut)
Definately take him and one other (for company) away from the rest of the group til you get him better  :thumbsup:

Pel

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 11:29:21 pm »
I'm querying this one other for company thing. When we had a pig that needed isolating for whatever reason we did just that, though they could always see and hear other pigs, but did not share a pen with any.
However on returning to the herd, there would always be that half day of challenges where everyone has to find their place back in the pecking order. I can see though if you took two away, it would mean less attention is all on one pig.
So is it really one other for company, or is it one other to make re-introduction back into the herd easier on the "weaker" pig?

I agree with the above two re the foot though.
Love pigs; their language, intelligence, and taste.
NPTC in chainsaws (felling small trees) and HND in Agriculture with countryside management.
Farming it runs through the blood :D

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 11:00:21 pm »
If you have smalller and larger pigs I'd split into a minimum of two groups with at least two in a group.

The reason the larger pigs will want more food and will hold back the smalller ones

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS