Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: weak week old lamb -any suggestions  (Read 3654 times)

norfolk newbies

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Grantham
weak week old lamb -any suggestions
« on: May 28, 2013, 12:37:03 pm »
Hi Folks
yet again I am looking for more advice please. Lamb healthy when he was born a week ago, appeared to have some colostrum, (although in retrospect he may have been sucking on  wool).

OH convinced he did have some and we also topped up with volostrum. However then he decided not to latch on and after a day of him not latching onto mum and him getting weaker we started him ( tried to) on a bottle. This took several days of hard work by OH. In the mean time he has had pen and strep, anti-scour and a kickstart treatment ( we went with 'all available options'!).

He is now drinking OKish - about 740mL a day, but is weak and shakes on standing (he was standing by himself, now only if he is lifted first.  He is holding his head up, but he is not as vocal as he was, and just seems less sparky and getting weaker.

Is there anything else to try?

thanks all
Jo

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: weak week old lamb -any suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 01:00:17 pm »
Has he got a rattle belly (if you shake him gently does it sound as if he has lots of fluid/gas in there)?That's e.coli infection from taking in gunge/sucking dirty wool etc.  If yes it will be very difficult to get him to thrive, I have failed last year and this year again with two lambs that just didn't get any better (despite this year even giving one of them fresh goat colostrum...). Mum didn't want to know, and actually their twins left on the dams are thriving!
So I think the prognosis is not good.... I know it is heartbreaking, but maybe more other folk may have different views and experiences.

norfolk newbies

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Grantham
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 01:40:38 pm »
Thanks
OH gone out to shake lamb and see if he rattles ( as a new shepherd himself he is not optimistic he will be able to tell!)
Is this the same as watery mouth? A lot of the symptoms seem the same ( reluctance to suck etc) but without the excess salivation and wet mouth.

thanks again
Jo

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 01:52:12 pm »
Same thing, caused by E. coli.

If you think that's what it is, he needs antibiotics. I see he's had pen and strep - time to talk to the vet?

As Anke rightly says though, they often don't make it  :-\

norfolk newbies

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Grantham
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 02:59:06 pm »
Update- belly not rattly.
Will talk to vet and take him in if she thinks that is best course....
Not feeling optomistic though  :'( .
Pity he is a cutie ...
(Yes re pen and strep, although OH said he was not sure it went i.m., as there is so little muscle)
Jo
thanks again

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 08:18:08 pm »
The main problem is that a lamb that is reluctant to suckle early on will rarely catch up and become a strapping lad... (or girl). I have tried for over 2 weeks with tube-feeding last year, plus AB's, anti-inflammatory drugs ... the lot, but had to give in in the end. Very upsetting too, as you have invested a lot of time and effort in the little fellow, and it makes you feel very guilty... Please don't be if s/he won't make it.
E.Coli, has a few symptons, rattle belly is one, they CAN have a slobbery mouth (or not, as in my cases), and they can have (or not) evil-smelling diaorrhea (greyish in colour) (as mine had)...
Here's hoping that the little one makes it! :fc:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS