Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Car trouble  (Read 3255 times)

zoe_emma

• Joined Apr 2013
Car trouble
« on: May 23, 2013, 11:40:15 am »
In January my Vauxhall Meriva finally gave up and had to be scrapped. I bought it five years previously and am still paying off the loan :(

I scrapped it and bought a focus estate for £400, which has been great until last month when the whole brake system was knackered and had had to be fixed costing £250.

This morning on way to work as normal with three kids in the car it just stopped. Luckily I am in the AA, so they came and got me, but the guy could only take two passengers so my OH had to come and get us all making him late for work too. Apparently the water pump has collapsed.

The AA rang me about two weeks ago and offered me a courtesy car cover for an extra £1:60 a month and I am so glad I accepted!

I am stuck in a situation where I am paying a loan for a car I no longer have and therefore can only afford to drive an old banger!

I'll keep buying the scratch cards!

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: Car trouble
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 11:53:53 am »
 :( I only every have old bangers, mind you if you have to drive a lot then a better car is required. I usualy have enough money to buy one under £1,000 and then they tend to last with just bits and bobs needing doing.......cars are expensive and getting much more expensive, not to buy but to run.
We watched re pro man and was shocked that some cars are sold with the log book loan still on them so then the new owner gets them re possed, so glad thats not happend to me.  The best buy we had was a Citron Saxo, bought it for £600 and it lasted 3 years with out much but a new battery and tyres...it gave up the ghoust so we scrapped it but it was the lowest TAX, the cheapest insurance and very economical on petrol.......good luck and there is nothing wrong with an old banger :innocent:  providing its been looked after

zoe_emma

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 11:57:46 am »
I actually really love my car that I have at the moment, it's a year 2000 estate but has nearly 180000 miles on the clock.
I will never take out a loan to buy a car again that's for certain.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 12:07:35 pm »
I did take a loan when I got a social work assistant job, just before I started there was a scheme where you paid a very low sum every month to get a car, of course the more you paid the better the car, as the job required a car, of course that scheme stopped and so I had no choice but to borrow the money but luckily paid it back when we sold to move, just when I finished worked for the local authority, the essential car usual scheme was put back into action...I was gutted

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 03:12:03 pm »
We work on the principal of not buying a car until it's finished depreciating. Our last Volvo estate cost 395 quid and when it was written off by a young driver coming out of a junction without looking the insurance gave us £850 for it ;D ;D ;D .

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 07:05:14 pm »
[quoteOur last Volvo estate cost 395 quid and when it was written off by a young driver coming out of a junction without looking the insurance gave us £850 for it ;D ;D ;D .] :thumbsup:  A friend of mines husband was a  used car sales man :innocent: , she used to use a nice car for a while then always sell it for more than she paid.....we never ever do!

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 08:32:51 am »
Our first family car was a ford mondeo which we bought when it was a year old. It was a great car in most ways but the brakes were a nightmare, the brake pads only lasted about 9 months before wearing out which was an issue with the brake calipers. Replacing the calipers would cost £400 which we just never used to have available so although it was false economy we used to have to pay around £80 every 9 months to have new brake pads.

We have since swapped for a 7 seater, 2006 Kia sedona which we bought from a friend of a friend for £1100. It is great, no problems with it so far except it being petrol and therefore a bit hungry. Fits my brood in it beautifully!

Car trouble is one of my great dreads, only broke down once (in the mondeo) but had my 3 kids with me, oldest of whom was only 5 at the time and was stuck for hours it was awful!

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 09:24:38 am »
Mondeo callipers do cause problems but you can fix them without replacing them - a new cylinder kit is about £30

I found my brake pads were too tight in the guides so filed a bit off and no more problems...
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 09:47:58 am »
we found something hanging under the car last night but my husband recons its only a piece of metal  :innocent:          errrrrrrrr should I be worried as no way can I get under the car..to fat and too unfit

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 01:07:15 pm »
Could be plastic undertray - they often get smashed on things. Could also be exhaust heat shielding if metal or possibly some road detritus picked up
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 03:42:42 pm »
Could be the engine?, that's metal

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 04:52:23 pm »
 ??? , don't think its the engine as I was able to drive up hill  home, or the exhaust as that was not sounding like a race car, could be  breaks but I do not go fast so not that bothered ;) , although I could also use the hand break, although the breaks have been done recently so I think it may be the thingy for keeping the wheel that's under theVehicle tied on.....anyway, my husbands  put some sellotape around it for now ::)

zoe_emma

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 08:48:08 pm »
Ha ha that reminds me of my first car. By the time I got rid of it the number plate was sellotaped on, the headlights were both sellotaped in and I had locked the keys in it so many times that the AA man showed me how to break into it myself.

The kids at the school where I worked came in several times saying 'found this miss and I think it's off your car'. Mostly it was lol

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 08:56:19 pm »
I've always had old bangers til we bought our current car when I had a decent job. That was nine years ago so I guess it qualifies as an old banger now.

One car we had was damaged by someone pulling out from the kerb without looking and denting both doors on the near side and the front wing. The insurance company wrote it off just after it passed its MOT so we sepnt the money on a washing machine and a TV and kept driving until it fell to bits.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS