Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chick with splayed legs (more photos)  (Read 8336 times)

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Chick with splayed legs
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2013, 11:42:32 am »
Surgical spirit will take the elastoplast off
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

sh3ph3rd

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Queensland, Australia
Re: Chick with splayed legs
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2013, 12:24:39 pm »
We had a beautiful Dorking cockerel that produced too many chicks with splayed legs so we switched to our much more ordinary reserve cockerel and the problem disappeared.

I'd always heard that breeders check the lining on the leg scales to see whether or not a bird was a breeding prospect. I got birds off breeders who didn't tell me why they got rid of them; I later found out. Chicks started hatching who were spraddled outways or inways; it was caused by an inherited deformity, a misalignment of bone, muscle and tendon, and it shows in the parents as incorrect leg scale lining. They walk fine, but their offspring will suffer, and only produce more of the same.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Re: Chick with splayed legs (more photos)
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 10:08:03 am »
Manged to get elastoplast off - and tried with new improved hair elastic - thanks The Captain et al ... looks a lot kinder and nearly fixed now - just going to leave on for another day or 2...

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 10:49:33 am »
knickers in a twist  ;D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2013, 09:17:54 am »
How's the leg hobbles working-out Fi?  :fc:

Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2013, 01:22:13 pm »
Perfect - cured, thanks for asking!  Took the elastic band off after a couple of weeks I would say and you wouldn't know there was anything different about him or her!  Result ;D ;D .  they are having a bit of sun in the garden today :sunshine: :sunshine:   Hooray.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2013, 08:21:30 pm »
Brill news  :thumbsup:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS